PH 5.2 Buffer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found this if anyone is interested:
BYO - Buffers: Advanced Brewing

This is the bottom line from this author:

"The pH of your brewing liquor does not determine your mash pH. In fact, almost all brewing waters will yield a mash pH in the low to mid 5 range, regardless of water pH. For this reason, adjusting your water pH is of little use (unless you know from experience that adjusting your water to a certain pH yields a given pH in the mash). Likewise, the pH of your sparge water does not determine the pH of the wort you collect. Even near the end of wort collection, the weak wort in your grain bed is more heavily buffered than your water.

So what about this summary? I am curious from the water educated guys here if that is correct. If this is true than it changes things for many.

Without reading the rest of this thread - I wonder if the issue is more for BIAB where the mash is so much thinner. Wouldn't this change the pH effect of the grain itself on the overall mash by having a higher water/grain ratio? There was a Brewing TV episode about BIAB and Jake used 5.2. I'm in MN too and figured what the hey

The problem with the 5.2 is that your sodium will go way up, but the pH won't go down anyway.

I'd take out the MgSo4, and use some acid malt or lactic acid or phosphoric acid in the water. You can use up to 2-3% acidulated malt without any flavor issues I've found.

Alright then, thanks Yoop. Not sure exactly what LHBS has because they always have a lot more than their Prices List online shows. I distinctly remember there being lactic acid, though.

However, it's in powder form and all of the calculations I've seen call for 88% Lactic Acid and it's in mL amounts. Do I simply make an 88% Lactic Acid solution in the appropriate volume?

And if they happen to not have lactic or phosphoric, would using citric acid work? I know they have that in powder form.

EDIT: And I use the MgSO4 to up my Mg levels to appropriate levels. I know that there is much debate on how much you really need to each ion but I opt for at least 10ppm Mg.

Ditto on the alkalinity being important. Another way to think of it is buffering capacity, which is the ability to resist pH changes. The greater the buffering capacity (ie alkalinity) the greater it will resist pH change.

One could have water with a pH of say 6.5 and a very high buffering capacity such that the components in the grain are not enough to bring the pH down, even though it is only 1 pH unit away. In this case some sort of acid is reguired (or one could somehow reduce the buffering capacity first) Conversely, someone could have water with a pH of 9.0, but with low buffering capacity such that no additions are required, and the components in the grain are enough to bring the pH down to the optimal range.

Generally, the components of the grain (at least base malts) are such that they will "automatically" create the optimal pH for starch conversion (in distilled water). As soon as you add some salts into the water, you start to impact how well the grains can create the optimal pH. Once your water goes over a certain buffering capacity, then the brewer needs to make adjustments to help the grains out.

Of course this is just for starch conversion. One also has to consider what minerals the yeast need, and how the various ions affect the flavor - particulalry that from the hops.

Alright then, thanks Yoop. Not sure exactly what LHBS has because they always have a lot more than their Prices List online shows. I distinctly remember there being lactic acid, though.

However, it's in powder form and all of the calculations I've seen call for 88% Lactic Acid and it's in mL amounts. Do I simply make an 88% Lactic Acid solution in the appropriate volume?

And if they happen to not have lactic or phosphoric, would using citric acid work? I know they have that in powder form.

EDIT: And I use the MgSO4 to up my Mg levels to appropriate levels. I know that there is much debate on how much you really need to each ion but I opt for at least 10ppm Mg.

I've never seen the powdered lactic acid, only the acid malt and the liquid lactic acid. I wouldn't use citric acid, as there would be a flavor impact.

If you use MgSo4, you also increase the sulfate levels. You only need a trace amount of magnesium. Magnesium is also supplied by the malt, so you may not to add any to get to where you want to be.

What I can tell you from experience is do not get 5.2 in your eye. I was just tapping the TBL spoon on the cooler and one tiny grain of it hit me in the eye. I thought for sure I was going to be blind in eye and it burned like hell. After a good rinsing I was good to go. Now when I use it I don't look directly at it.

If you use MgSo4, you also increase the sulfate levels. You only need a trace amount of magnesium. Magnesium is also supplied by the malt, so you may not to add any to get to where you want to be.

This is true. But the amount of sulfate it goes up isn't that bad. My starting water has only 4.1ppm SO4.

But I guess less it better in this case, considering I'm brewing a style from an area of soft water with low ion concentrations. I just don't have any grain in the grist to get the pH to an acceptable level. Here's hoping LHBS has acid malt or acids other than citric.

I know they have acid blend but I'm pretty sure that business is used for wine making.

This is true. But the amount of sulfate it goes up isn't that bad. My starting water has only 4.1ppm SO4.

But I guess less it better in this case, considering I'm brewing a style from an area of soft water with low ion concentrations. I just don't have any grain in the grist to get the pH to an acceptable level. Here's hoping LHBS has acid malt or acids other than citric.

I know they have acid blend but I'm pretty sure that business is used for wine making.

Acid blend is a mix of tartaric, citric, and malic acid. It's use in wine for flavor mostly, but can be used to adjust the pH a little. It really isn't good for using for mash pH adjustments, because of the flavor impact it would make. In order to use enough to adjust the pH downward, there would be a distinct flavor.

That's what I figured.

Much appreciated, Yoop.

I think I might forego salt additions all together (keep the water mostly mineral free) and just work with what LHBS has to offer. They often surprise me with what they have available, though.

Latest posts

Back