Peyope's ginger ale/beer recipe thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peyope

Reaction score
While I can't find the thread at the moment, I based my process off a recipe on this site to brew a non-alcoholic ginger beer and force carbonate in my keg. Batch #1 turned out excellent for my taste but lacked something.

Recipe #1 (5 gallons)

11 lemons & 1 lime: Zest was cut off and put into 5 gallons of water at 180 degrees F. Lemons were juiced then added to water. (Only used the lime because it needed to be used)

2lb of juiced ginger and the pulp to the pot at 180 degrees F.

About 1 lb of white sugar, 1lb of brown sugar were also added in addition to 1 table spoon of cream of tartar.

Mixture was covered and seeped overnight. Why overnight? I fell asleep.

I added about 1/2 lb of fresh ginger juice the following morning to the keg along with some potassium sorbate (because I had it on hand and figured it couldn't hurt preserve the soda).

Mixture was strained while being added to the keg then carbonated at 40psi.

Tasting notes of batch one:

Very dry. Very spicy. Like I said, it really fit MY preference but lacked something to tie the flavors together. It was a one-two citrus/ginger punch. I drank this batch most often in the morning in place of coffee (or at night with a bit of whiskey). Drinking it at night with, maybe, 1/2 of a shot of whiskey per 8oz added a lot of depth to the flavor.

------------------------------------------

In the name of experimentation, I used the same process but adjusted the ingredients as follows (5 gallons):

9 lemons
1.5lb of ginger (juiced and seeped)
.5lb of ginger juiced and added to keg
1.5 oz of lemongrass (chopped and seeped)
1 vanilla bean
~1 tablespoon of cloves (I added a more initially but moments after adding I noticed the powerful smell and scooped some out opting for a more subtle approach. I estimate a tablespoon was left in).
1lb dark brown sugar
2lb cane sugar
Edit: Forgot to mention I added about a tablespoon of cream of tartar and some potassium sorbate.

Kegged this morning. I'll update with tasting notes later. My goal with the vanilla and cloves was to add a slight depth to the flavor that would be similar (not replicate) to what I enjoyed about mixing whiskey with the previous batch. I increased the sugar simply for experimentation.

I like the look of this recipe and have been trying to find. something I can make for swmbo.

With ginger, did you peel it? Also, what kind of juicer do you have? Were have the Jack Lelane style one and I know there are some people that use the auger style..

What does the cream of tartar do?

Would you say this resembles Reed's at all?

I like the look of this recipe and have been trying to find. something I can make for swmbo.

Same here! She's not a huge fan of the brewing/kegs in the house, this is my attempt to involve her.

With ginger, did you peel it? Also, what kind of juicer do you have? Were have the Jack Lelane style one and I know there are some people that use the auger style..

I don't peel the ginger, just juice it whole. After juicing I add all the pulp, including the peel, to the pot. It probably doesn't add much to the flavor and I may try leaving it out in the next batch (less to strain at the end of the seeping). We have an Omega 8004. It's an auger style juicer but I don't see why you couldn't juice ginger with yours.

What does the cream of tartar do?

It's added to prevent the sugar from clumping/crystalizing.

Would you say this resembles Reed's at all?

I haven't had Reed's, or really any premium ginger ale for that matter (I flew across country a few weeks ago and had ginger ale on the plane -probably Canada dry or Seagram's -and it tasted like a cream soda in comparison to mine). I highly doubt my first go at the recipe resembled anything on the market. It was very dry, very spicy, and had a strong citrus presence. When I drank it, the citrus and ginger were separate flavors. I'd first get punched with a lot of citrus, then hit with a lot of ginger spice. I upped the sugar to see if that would blend the flavors better.

I'm fairly certain the lemon grass didn't do anything to add flavor to the soda. I am a fan of the vanilla and cloves, they are barely noticeable but I think that adds just enough complexity.

You will get more flavor from the lemon grass if you pound the stalk with the back of a heavy knife first. That is how it is typically done when making Thia soups with lemon grass.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58rSRxb_BMU&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Back