Petit orange aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirbykollege

Reaction score
I'm on my 5th brew and instead of bottling and drinking ASAP I'm going to calm down and let it sit. I got a Le petit orange kit and planned on doing a secondary, but there's only an inch or less of trub after two weeks. Since there's little trub should I rack it or leave it?

How long are you planning on keeping it in the fermenter? If you are going to be in the bottle within 6 weeks, you might as well leave it where it is. If you are going to leave it for a few months, I suggest you move it.

There is no real need to get it off the trub (no matter how much there is), unless you are going to be leaving it there for an extended time.

I got the same kit. I did 2 weeks primary and two weeks secondary although most on here seem to prefer skipping a secondary. It's only been in bottles for a week and 5 days, but I couldn't resist trying one yesterday. Aside from not having enough gas(as expected), it tastes great.

Honestly, I've broken a lot of rules and have yet to have a negative experience. I'm beginning to see why there is generally no consensus on anything other than extreme cases(ex don't spit in the wort)

I brewed the same kit in November, but I added the optional orange peel and coriander.

I did 4 weeks in the primary (70F water bath - 1 week, then removed and put in a 75F room for the rest of the time) cold crashed for a few days then kegged.

I used the Wyeast 3538PC which started quick and was really vigorous for the first 3 days.

OG - 1.050
FG - 1.010

It has been 1.5 weeks in the keg and I tried some last night. It needs some more time on the gas but overall tastes pretty good!

Good Luck!

It's some great beer! I only filled my carboy up to 4 gallon for it and ended up with a 6.5abv. Best beer I've made yet.

An I also realize that negates the whole "petite" part of it.

Latest posts

Back