pet #7 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johns

Reaction score
So does anyone know anything about pet #7 plastics? Looking on the internet not much is to be known about it except things like maybe its not so good to put food grade materials in it, or maybe it will be ok. I am looking for a plastic fermenter, because I dont want to haul stainless, or HDPE around to another the other part of the world. I found a 20L water container that says PET #7 and I am wondering if it would be safe to use as a fermenter. Jeri cans are available, but 20 liters of water plus the container cost about 15 dollars. I will need to use the water anyway so why not use the container as well. Thoughts, or ideas please.

I can't give you a definitive answer, but #7 indicates "other" so PET#7 would be a plastic that is PET but may have other plastics in it as well. (It's not a pure PET or it would be a #1) It may, for example, be a laminate with a thicker layer of PET and a thin layer of something else to improve its barrier properties, but the thin layer prevents it from being able to be recycled with PET. Alternatively, it may be a blend of PET and another plastic (could be PC, could be bio-resin).

I'm not sure what classifies a plastic as food safe, but #7 is a catch-all so you really can't be sure what it is.

those are my thoughts too, just want to check the board to see what other people think about it. the pet #7 makes me a bit dubious though. I think if i use it as a secondary once it will be ok

Latest posts

Back