Perry same as Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBuz

Reaction score
I have crushed many apples and juiced great ciders. In addition I will be doing the same with pears. Is there any difference? Any tips or tricks? On cider and/or Perry. I love information.
Thanks homebrewers you always know your stuff.

I,ll be doing a pider/pyder in the next few weeks to with desert pears so will watch this with interest. Don't forget to post your method.

Perry is just the term for pear cider. I made some a little while back, albeit with unfiltered pear juice from Sprouts. Came out fantastic, actually. I made 1 gallon with enough dextrose to bring SG up to 1.065 fermented to 1.01 with montrachet wine yeast. Primed it with table sugar and it's been a hit! Was ready to drink in 1 month. Its fantastic as a still beverage, too.

Only tip I'd give is to use yeast nutrient, aerate plenty before and during active fermentation, and just control the temperature. I always like to ferment on the lower end of the yeast tolerance for cleaner flavors.

I think I will go with wyeast 1056. I tried mangrove jack cider with a 100% apple juice stirplate starter (no preserve). It taste like yeast from a krausen.
My method albiet, my bro in laws dad has about 8 pear trees. Let alone 40 apple trees. We just have an antique grinder and press. Its about. 30 min a gal. We have 15 gal of pear juice and we usually get 45-65 apple juice. The old fashion way.

Our cider gets first place in our club every time. FIRST YEAR DOING PERRY. GOOD ADVICE WILL GO A LOONG WAY.

Have just done a pyder using 50% pears (hard conference) and apples (obviously). It's only ended up as 1.040 but tastes very sweet. Leaving one gallon demijohn to bubble away and the other I,m doing multiple rankings to see if it ends up clearer or retains a bit more sweetness, or wether they just both ferment out dry. Hopefully the sorbitol will leave a bit of residual sweetness. It looks nice anyway.

I made this one a little while back. Small batch and long gone now...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/perry-recipe-402241/

I now have this one overdue for racking...

GV is the brand Goulbourn Valley.

23 cans GV Pear juice
5 x 1kg GV pear halves mashed in
own juice
1 cup chopped raisins boiled in water
1 kg dark brown sugar
30g pectinol
Nottingham yeast rehydrated

OG - 1070

Both are from tinned 100% juice, not from concentrate.

Hi. Resurrecting a zombie thread. Just put these two down today:

New England style "Pider" 2.5L

1L Barlett pear juice and McIntosh apple cider (the label does not give the proportions but pear is listed first)
1L mixed apple cider
500mL water
85gm white sugar 21.8%
30gm old fashioned brown sugar 7.7%
65gm Sunmaid raisins, partially chopped, sanitized at 160F for 15 min, thrown into fermentor 16.7%
1/4 tsp yeast energizer
1/4 package of Lavlin 71B-1122 yeast rehydrated

"Pider" Graff 2.5L

1L Barlett pear juice and McIntosh apple cider (the label does not give the proportions but pear is listed first)
1L mixed apple cider
500mL water
30gm light DME 8.5%
30gm wheat DME 8.5%
30gm C120L 8.5%
7gm Honey Malt 2%
30gm old fashioned brown sugar 8.5%
15gm white sugar 4.3%
1/4 tsp yeast energizer
1/4 package of Lavlin 71B-1122 yeast rehydrated

Estimating OG is about 1.050 and will end up 5% ABV. Did not take gravity samples as batches are so small, I did not want to waste any.

Very excited about these as I have never attempted making cider before (extract beer brewer for several years). The two batches are for research purposes, for next fall. Thought it was about time I tried making cider as I own a bunch of apple trees. I don't have any pear trees but I like what I read about perry; I thought pears would add something nice to the apple cider.

Note: my Pider Graff recipe is based on Brandon O's apple Graff recipe.

Latest posts

Back