Perlick Kegerator and Fermetation Chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtrevino

Reaction score
So I got this awesome Kegerator but the wife wants me to just sell it and make room in the garage. I convinced her that if I can modify it to both a Kegerator and fermentation chamber that I can keep it. Any ideas or examples out there?

image-3431735576.jpg

I was looking for a unit like that at one time to do the same thing. My idea was to put a partition wall inside to wall off the third chamber. I would then have a cut out with a fan mounted in it (and a smaller second cutout for return air) and use the fan to bring in cold air to get to fermentation temp.

I was looking for a unit like that at one time to do the same thing. My idea was to put a partition wall inside to wall off the third chamber. I would then have a cut out with a fan mounted in it (and a smaller second cutout for return air) and use the fan to bring in cold air to get to fermentation temp.

So far that's what my ideas have been, but I haven't seen it done yet. I may be the first to do it?.?

I don't see why it wouldn't work. For tests, just buy a chunk of the 2" foam insulation board from Home Depot. Cut it and place it in there for a false wall and measure the temp differential on each side. With no air flow from the Perlick cooler, it will probably be real close to where you need to be. That would be a cheap proof of concept test.

One would think that just adding a wall inside to section off a side would just be simple but the coils and fans at the upper back run just past the door opening on either side. Because of this, the new wall can not just be installed at a 90 degree angle to wall to section one door of the cooler. I could get creative and angle the wall but I need to make sure that the fan has enough room to circulate the air to the rest of the cooler. You can get some idea of what I mean by looking at these pics.

image-3618365788.jpg

image-1978443206.jpg

Just a thought. You could get some sheet metal form it to an angel in front of the fan so that it would be like a small piece of duct work. Then you would be able to place the 2" foam so it has some structure to it. Just a thought. Whatever you do just get it done so you dont lose a great piece like this. Good luck.

I have a friend who owns a refrigeration company so I've thought about having him move the coils over so that I can easily section off one door for fermenting. I'm just too busy right now to get started in this project, got to finish a home improvement project first. I'll keep this thread posted.

Home improvement project, hmmm.

Turn it around, take off the towers and put some 2x4s on top. Its now a cutting surface for
the miter saw (baseboards, 2x4s) a scoring table (for drywall), etc...

Or, lay the scrap against it and it gets hidden. What kegerator, I don't see anything.

Back