Perfect Smoker/Grill Design Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tally350z

Reaction score
So I have the opportunity to design a combination smoker/grill and get it built for next to nothing. I wanted to get some ideas on how you would setup the perfect smoker/grill. I'm sure most would know what works and what doesn't and can contribute some awesome ideas.

Here are some parameters to go by.

3 Ft deep X 6 Ft Long. Height should be above average 3-4ish Ft (at grill top level).4-5 Ft with Lid.

Should be able to be setup as a smoker with fire box as well as a charcoal grill. I would like to have a small mount where I could eventually add a PID controller to control airflow/temps.

Door should be tall enough to allow for some hanging homeade sausages.

personally, i think you build one or the other. All smoker designs out there have their pros and cons. I would build a smoker, and then have an additional grill mounted to it though. To make a good cooking smoker, you can't really make it pull double duty as a grill.

Again, personally, I like mine ALOT. After cooking on it for 3 years, it's been a joy. I had a "stick burner" for 10 yrs. Being able to get sleep and not have to tend a stick burner is worth it's weight in gold. those are my two cents. Oh, and having it insulated is awesome for when it rains, or you want to smoke in 4 feet of snow.

Can't imagine much better than this:

http://www.azbbqgrills.com/page5/

Granted, the smoker and grill are independently mounted on a single structure, but it does have everything. A vertical chamber smoker with offset firebox (large enough to be a stickburner), a large grill surface with capability to burn charcoal or wood, and with the Santa Maria style movable grate so that you can adjust heat on the meat by raising and lowering the cooking surface.

Edit: 1 additional point. I actually *LOVE* the fact that it's not a combo design. If you're cooking some items that require searing or direct heat, as well as others that want smoke, all at the same time, having independent fireboxes is a good thing.

What about a T style design with a large firebox below and the smoker top above. It will have a steel plate to close off the section between.

as other have pointed out, it will be tough to get a smoker AND grill. i say get a kettle for your grilling needs and focus on building a dedicated smoker.

for you requirements, it sounds like a cabinet style smoker might be a good fit. have you looked into the gravity fed style units? they are pretty sweet in many regards and EASILY adapt to digital temp controllers.

Id model it after the Stumps smokers - http://www.stumpssmokers.com/products/gravity-feed-smokers/vertical-smokers

yup, just like the one in my sig! Again, I'm a little partial to that design though. :D

The easiest thing to do is to build the smoker, then take a weber kettle, and weld on a pivot mount to the bottom/side. Then weld that to the smoker chassis. You can swing out a great cooking grill when you need it, and fold it in a bit when you don't. All depends on what you're looking for. Something on a trailer? Something on pneumatic wheels to move around a yard? No wheels (going to sit where ever it gets dropped)? There are a lot of design elements to take into account.

If you don't want to go the gravity fed route, my second choice would be a stick burning RF design. But that sucker is going to be incredibly heavy. Will also take a lot longer to get up to temp, and will need more tending to than a gravity fed design.

I would take a look at different manufacturers out there. See what it is that they do differently in their designs. All depends on what it is you like to cook. I designed mine with our annual Caveman BBQ in mind. After designing it, and building it, the only thing I wish I had done differently was to make it wider so that I could have fit a pig in there if I had wanted to. All I can do is a pig that is shorter than 3'. Those generally are suckling pigs, and are also twice the price. Boo.

Back