Pepper Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreshZ

Reaction score
So, looking forward I have 4 beers lined up, but I'm already thinking of the 5th. I want to try a 2 gallon batch of a spicy/pepper beer. Im looking for suggestions.

I assume all 2 row and some minimal hopping? Anyone have any recipes/suggestions. I'm not looking for a really "burn your throat off" type of beer, but I want some kick. I also assume peppers and not hot sauce. Any advice is welcome.

I was thinking a cream ale recipe with some peppers in the wort and then more as dry hopped?

5 gallon batch
10 lbs. 2 row American
2 lbs honey
1lb brown sugar
12-13 large sliced jalapeno peppers 20 minutes
1 oz euro NB 60 minutes
1/2 oz Citra 15 minutes
1/2 oz Citra 1 minute
Safle US-05 yeast
mash @154 for 60 minutes
batch sparged @170F
My OG was 1.070 which seemed high but I think the peppers may have contributed to this?
I added the honey but next batch will use honey malt at end of boil I think.
I sliced the peppers longways and added them at 20 minutes using a large hop bag. This cuts down on the seeds getting in the wort where they float.
I get a little heat but mostly aroma. The citra goes well with this brew.
I also made this using both jalapeno and 6-8 chile peppers.

The recipe seems good. Have you guys ever tried habaneros or chipotles in a beer?

I like to roast the jalapeno peppers over charcoal then put them in a ziplock bag to steam for awhile. Then put them in the freezer over night to rupture the cells. Put them in the last 5 min. of boil. Gives it a light smokey flavor to go with the heat. About 4 or 5 peppers gives it a mild bite. Cream Ale makes a good base.

You won't be able to get your hands on any in St. Louis, but check out the notes on Viva Habanera from Night Shift. Great guys, they'd probably give you some direction if you contact them.

So, looking forward I have 4 beers lined up, but I'm already thinking of the 5th. I want to try a 2 gallon batch of a spicy/pepper beer. Im looking for suggestions.

I assume all 2 row and some minimal hopping? Anyone have any recipes/suggestions. I'm not looking for a really "burn your throat off" type of beer, but I want some kick. I also assume peppers and not hot sauce. Any advice is welcome.

I was thinking a cream ale recipe with some peppers in the wort and then more as dry hopped?

I did the cream ale recipe from Brewing Classic Styles, then dry-hopped with one jalapeno, one pablano and one habenaro. cut up the peppers, remove the seeds and soak in vodka overnight. The vodka will make the best bloody marys, fyi. I was pleased with the final result. More "pepper" than heat. If i did it again, I'd consider two habeneros and one jalapeno for a little more heat.

Good luck.

Back