pentair filter.... any comments on this one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes 0.2 is lower then home brew and actually many commercial winemakers are used to but the thing i notices is the x-flow comment, when i dug into it it explains it the same way crossflow filtration is .. so instead of depth filtration (pushing wine perpendicular to the filter using pads or cartages) it pushes the wine parallel to it. and for cross flow wine filtration 0.2 micron is standard (http://www.winebusiness.com/wbm/?go=getArticle&dataId=43876).. let me add that i have yet to see a home use version of cross flow since most crossflow systems are highly computerized and costly

I found this filter:
http://www.directindustry.com/prod/pentair-x-flow/product-71363-1122700.html

I am in shock - it sais its 0.2 micron. MUCH smaller than that 0.5 micron USUALLY recommended for filtering out yeast and bacteria.... what are your thoughts on this???

There are some serious considerations in going to 0.2u. 0.5u and below are considered ultra fine and at 0.2u, it's really about haze an bacteria removal but often with the sacrifice of some complexities that can make a good wine pop. The chemist at the winery I often work at likes to limit filtering to 1u just to make sure to keep all the flavor he worked so hard to get into the wine in the first place.

I personally try to filter along the same lines with using a clarification filter no larger than 5u followed by a 1u absolute filter.

Keep in mind that there are incredible price differences in the filter carts and if you are not filtering a barrel or more at once, the Pentair carts may be cost prohibitive. Its your call of course but our last cost analysis showed a great savings in using the 3M Zeta Plus carts for filtering.

If you are willing, I can provide some links to pleated and spun carts that will fit in generic 10" housings for small batch filtering.

Cheers!

yes 0.2 is lower then home brew and actually many commercial winemakers are used to but the thing i notices is the x-flow comment, when i dug into it it explains it the same way crossflow filtration is .. so instead of depth filtration (pushing wine perpendicular to the filter using pads or cartages) it pushes the wine parallel to it. and for cross flow wine filtration 0.2 micron is standard (will add link to some cross flow stuff as i find it to help explain)

Have you had the chance to see it in action? It's amazing!

Have you had the chance to see it in action? It's amazing!

not this unit but another Cross flow filter .. it is amazing, slow but amazing since it can take an extremely cloudy wine down to bottle ready in a single step since it cleans the filters as it goes.. but keep bento away from these filters.. and it then cleans itself and purges out the dark sludge from the filters.

maybe its overkill using 0.2 micron

I got a 1 micron but as I am TERRIFIED about re-fermentation (IF using too little sorbate) and about bacterial problems I think I will use 0.5 micron. I do appreciate a clear looking wine

I sure do understand the fear of not getting all of the yeast out when filtering. I have been very fortunate in using a 1 micron, spun poly filter. This is much more and experiential thing butt I have noticed huge differences between a 1 micron nominal and a 1micron absolute filter and how they polish the final product.

With the 3M line, all the filters are absolute, meaning that a 1 micron filter will not allow anything larger than micron to pass through at any time. For home use I am using 1micron nominal. They are a lot cheaper and without the name brand such as 3M, I can get away with a loser spinning and get the yeast scrubbing effect I am looking for at a much lower cost.

I don't have the white paper here at home with me but I believe a .45 Micron nominal filter pulls down almost the same yeast yield as a 1 micron absolute filter does. However, this also comes with the exception that nominal means just that, there really is no upper limit and very large particles make it through at certain places in the spinning.

I know, this is just a lot of blah blah blah. You certainly can't lose with a .5 micron filter and that Pentair filter and housing sure is a beauty!

Back