Pellicle in Belgian dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Taste it. If it's not too objectionable, keg it and drink it... fast. Otherwise dump it. Or let it ride for a while and see what you get. Might be a nice sour or it might be a batch of vinegar or it might be something else altogether.

As for advice, there's too much headspace in that bucket, which is likely why it's infected. In fact, buckets are terrible as a "secondary" due to the fact that it's pretty much impossible to not have too much headspace. They are great for primary (I use them myself), but should never be used as a clearing or aging vessel. Use a carboy instead and fill it all the way to the neck. Or don't bother with a secondary, just keg it when it's at FG and call it good. If it's a recipe that needs to age, age it in the keg as long as needed.

keep in mind that bucket is now infected and if you keg it, the keg will be too. Skip the secondary transfer next time. Im guessing that is where you infected it

You can use that bucket again, but bleach it with a strong concentration of Clorox or something similar. Make sure you also get the top, or better, replace the top because of the gasket. You can get it clean to reuse through bleaching; it will just take a little work. I'll agree on the "taste it, and if not bad yet, drink fast, and be prepared to dump what does end up going bad.

If you plan on cleaning and reusing that bucket check inside very carefully for possible scratches or gouges, i had my first brew bucket for 2 or 3 years until one day i noticed a scratch on the side and stop using it immediately, i only use soft sponges on the buckets not sure how mine got damaged

Thanks for all the advice. I'll prob ditch the bucket, taste and bottle what I can, as to not infect my keg and beer line. Reminds me of the saying. "Imagine the first guy to eat an oyster". Cheers!!!!

Be careful if you bottle. The bugs that cause infections like that will generally continue to munch on sugars that normal brewer's yeast will not and they will take their time doing it. The result is a lower FG (possible lower than 1.000) and more CO2 pressure than the average bottle can handle. I'd suggest either kegging it immediately, dumping it, or letting it ride for several months to see if it develops into something worth drinking. I would not, however, bottle it right away due to the potential issues with exploding glass.

Let it ride. If it IS infected the gravity should drop lower than you expect. If the gravity doesn't drop I wouldn't be worried about the bucket or everything after it being infected but I'd also make sure to clean and sanatizer that wil hot PBW and a good dose of star San.

Update!!! I ended up bottling this in PET bottles. Didn't want to chance possible infection of my keg/lines. Turned out great. First time making this style beer and also making homemade Brun fonce candy(easy). My guest loved the beer. Was it wrong not to tell them till after tasting????? JK.

Thanks again for all the replies to my first thread. I love this site and forum and the great knowledge my fellow brewers have. Cheers!!!!

Brewing 6 mos. now
On Tap:
Session IPA
Choco Stout
Blackberry Wheat(wife)
Raspberry Cider (also wife's)
Irish Red

Latest posts

Back