Pellets and Whole Hops Together

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satokad

Reaction score
Good Morning Folks,

I am wanting to brew up a batch of Jai Alai clone. I can get most hops in pellets locally, but the Simcoe hops are only available in whole leaf. They are for the dry hop. I could order them online and have them in time but I am curious now.
Is there any issue with mixing pellets and whole leaf hops in a batch? The only thing I have found is that I would have to use a little more whole leaf to get the same effect as the pellets.
Thanks.

Hops are hops! I find leaf to be a little messier and absorbent than pellets so I tend to use pellets for everything except the cold side Hop Rocket but it doesn't matter what form they're in. As long as they're fresh, it's all good.

A local micro made an APA and used pellets for everything but the dry hop where they used whole leaf. The aroma and flavor of that beer was wonderful. A month later I stopped in and had another and the aroma was not a strong. It tasted the same but didn't have as much aroma. I talked to the brewer and he said they switched from whole leaf to pellets for dry hopping. Since then I always try to dry hop with whole leaf even though you lose a little beer. Don't know why, just like the results.

There is unrest in the carboy
There is trouble with the hops
For the pellets call leaf greedy
And the leaf call pellets "glop"

Now there's no more hop oppression
Be thankful in the keezer
For the hops are all kept equal
By vacuum,
Seal,
And freezer

A local micro made an APA and used pellets for everything but the dry hop where they used whole leaf. The aroma and flavor of that beer was wonderful. A month later I stopped in and had another and the aroma was not a strong. It tasted the same but didn't have as much aroma. I talked to the brewer and he said they switched from whole leaf to pellets for dry hopping. Since then I always try to dry hop with whole leaf even though you lose a little beer. Don't know why, just like the results.

Is there a standard amount of beer wort lost to whole leaf hops? I like the description you gave of the leaf hopped dry hop.

Latest posts

Back