Pellet hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenDawg19

Reaction score
Is it normal for Cascade pellet hops to "disintegrate" when added to a hard rolling boil without a hop sack?

You'll know they were there when you move the wort to the fermenter. :)

The results of boiling pellet hops doesn't seem to be type specific. All of the pellets that I've boiled pretty much turn to goo. Goo is a certified brewing term.

The only time I use a hop sack is if I'm making a Pale Ale or another type of really hopped beer b/c you'll end up with hop particles in suspension in your final beer, but that doesn't bother me.

Thanks everyone for the really quick responses. As we speak, I have 26 minutes left in the boil for a Winter Spice Ale.

Pellet hops are made by grinding and compacting the hops. The process improves shelf life and reduces volume, but makes for goo AKA hop sludge.

Note: No matter how much you love hops, do not taste the goo.

I put my hops into a stainless steel wire mesh ball used for steeping tea (bought at Walmart for a couple bucks). When the boil was over that ball was completely filled up with a goop (technical term) that really surprised me. 2 oz. of hops expanded to fill the whole ball.

1. Is this the "hop sludge" and did I effectively keep it contained inside the ball.
2. Did I get everything I needed out of the hops and into my wort?

I put my hops into a stainless steel wire mesh ball used for steeping tea (bought at Walmart for a couple bucks). When the boil was over that ball was completely filled up with a goop (technical term) that really surprised me. 2 oz. of hops expanded to fill the whole ball.

1. Is this the "hop sludge" and did I effectively keep it contained inside the ball.
2. Did I get everything I needed out of the hops and into my wort?

I usually use a hops bag and I'm always amazed at the volume of the hop sludge.

Yes, that is the hop sludge. I'm not sure if a tea ball would keep it contained, depends on the size of the holes. I'm sure they're bigger than the mesh of a hops bag, so maybe not, but I don't think it's a huge deal.

If the hops were packed tightly in the ball, then I would doubt if you got all the "hop goodness" out of them. But so what? It'll still be great beer, and pick up a hops bag for next time.

RDWHAHB!

I don't use a bag for all of my hops, only for some. I just strain them out before they go into the fermenter.

Also what about dry hopping with pellets? Do I strain them out when I bottle or keg them? Or do I hope they fall to the bottom and not worry about it?

The only time I use a hop sack is if I'm making a Pale Ale or another type of really hopped beer b/c you'll end up with hop particles in suspension in your final beer, but that doesn't bother me.

Really? I've never had any hop particles suspended in my final beer. I wonder why you do, when I don't?

Really? I've never had any hop particles suspended in my final beer. I wonder why you do, when I don't?

Well, I just made a Bee Cave Haus ale the other day. I let it primary for 10 days then I kegged. I "boost carbed" it at 30 psi for 2 days @ 38* F. I used 2.5 oz of pellets (2 oz of cascade .5 oz of EKG.) When I pour a pint I have hops in it. It doesn't bother me at all. I actually kinda like it.

You probably sit in secondary longer?

Yeah. If I let a brew age 3 weeks or so in the primary I don't have that many particles in my final product even with an IPA (unless I dry hop w/out a bag/ball.)

Here's a picture of an IPA of mine:
DSCF05521.JPG

I don't see any hops particles.

Lots of my friends love good beer, but wouldn't even try a beer with "floaties", so I try to serve clear beer.

Anyway, the hops pellets will form sludge and fall to the bottom, so you can rack around them. They're heavier than the beer so they eventually fall out. Leaf hops, too.

Here's a picture of an IPA of mine:
DSCF05521.JPG

I don't see any hops particles.

Lots of my friends love good beer, but wouldn't even try a beer with "floaties", so I try to serve clear beer.

Anyway, the hops pellets will form sludge and fall to the bottom, so you can rack around them. They're heavier than the beer so they eventually fall out. Leaf hops, too.

I guess it all depends on turnover time. I tend to rush Ipa's and APA's b/c call me weird, but I have began to like how they taste green. I can almost drop a straw into the primary. I typically do a three week primary on all of my beers and then their either off into the keg or secondary. This typically included APA's, IPA's, or bitters (most of the time.)

You're right though. Long enough conditioning will cause those hops to drop out.

A couple of people on this site said to throw everything into the fermenter (hops, Irish moss, spices, etc.) b/c all of this "goo" will be left in the primary and subsequently, the secondary when moved into bottles.

Back