pectin haze help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pixie

Reaction score
My first batch plum wine completely clouded with pectin haze - my fault as started it without pectin enzyme only added later.

ForumRunner_20121028_120251.png

Has now finished and I have stabilized. Is there any way of clearing it now or should I just resign myself to cloudy wine?

A pectin haze usually isn't that bad. It just looks like a very young wine, and not aged yet.

If the wine is less than, say 4 months old, just cover it up and put it somewhere cool. That will give it a ton of clarity. Rack whenever lees are 1/4" thick, or when there are any lees at all after 60 days. Then you can try fining it later on if that doesn't clear it completely.

Also, top it up! You have too much headspace there.

For time frame identification...when did you pitch the yeast?

It is quite common for a wine to be cloudy even when it initially hits the dry mark. I would keep it topped up, rack it off sediment as it drops every two months, and park it somewhere that the temperature is at least ten degrees lower. Cooler temp will clear a hazy wine PDQ. But you want to attempt to degas this wine before you drop the temp on it....cooler temps and degassing do not like each other.
The pectinase as long as added while ferment is still active, ie not yet dry, will still do its thing; otherwise it just drops out with sediment. Of course the way you prepared your must can impact a haze, ie if you steep your fruit in hot water this will many times set the pectin making it more troublesome to clear.
I am pretty confident that given time and a cooler environment this will clear. Plum typically needs aging anyway, so time is your friend. If push comes to shove you can look at finings like SuperKleer or isinglass, etc.

Thanks guys, its just turning colder here in the UK so have plenty of cool places to store for a while! Would it matter if it dropped to 5deg Celcius?

Thanks guys, its just turning colder here in the UK so have plenty of cool places to store for a while! Would it matter if it dropped to 5deg Celcius?

No, that's fine as long as it's completely done fermenting. Just keep it topped up, and rack every 45-60 days whenever you have lees present. It should clear a lot compared to what you have now.

Thanks, just about to rack so will top up headspace in new container.

Back