Pear Cider turned to Gelatin!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brill

Reaction score
My buddy had a pear tree with these tiny, hard nasty pears that make your mouth pucker beyond belief. As we were gathering a bunch of apples at the time to make cider, I decided to get half a bushel of pears and try pear cider. As expected, the pear cider was just as gross as the pears, bitter, acidic. You couldn't even swallow. SO I decided to ferment it.

The primary was a beautiful, clear, amber that looks like liquid light. When we reracked it, we tasted it. It was like drinking throwup. It burned your throat on the way down. So we figured we'd let it finish in the secondary, then bottle it and let it sit around for fifty years. Well, sitting in the dark closet in the primary, the liquid somehow turned gelatinous. At the beginning of February, I pulled the cork, smelled it (nasty) and dumped it out after taking these photos of the gelatin that formed beneath a layer of liquid.

What the could have possibly happened? I assume it had something to do with how bitter and acidic the cider originally was. I've never had a batch of anything go sour or get screwed up before.

- Jake

photo 2.jpg

photo 1.jpg

Holy mother of sweet baby Jesus... LOL! If I didn't know better, I'd say you had some sort of culture growing in there! And not just your yeast!

But would a vinegar mother turn solid? That gelatin at the bottom was as solid as literal jello.

I'll bet you used Quince. I think they are also called European Pears. Smells great when you harvest after first frost, no to little taste, astringent and full of pectin.

I added a bottle of store bought pear nectar to my cider and had the same thing happen to me.

Latest posts

Back