Peach Wine Issues (Sour Smell,Fungus?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paindragon1

Reaction score
18lbs peaches, diced
2 cups diced, white raisins
2 cans concentrated white grape juice
10.5lbs granulated sugar (in 2 equal portions)
(Only half used during primary)
1 TBSP Citric Acid
1 TBSP Pectic Enzyme
2 TBSP yeast nutrient
4 Campden tablets

SG: 1.030
1 TBSP Citric Acid / 4 Campden tablets added at (12 hours from previous)
1 TBSP Pectic Enzyme added at (12 hours from previous)
Yeast / 2 TBSP yeast nutrient added at (12 hours from previous)
Stirred twice daily (4am/4pm) for 5 days.

It smelled as expected right up until day 4's pm stirring when a white fuzz had taken over the top of fruit. At first I took it as just the yeast crawling over the top of the fruit as it is known to do (however, it looked different) I did not think to get a picture of it and mixed it in.

FG: 0.998
The next morning it was 'sour' smelling and had clusters of a solid white substance that would remind me of beef tallow that sits on the top of the grease collection jar. Again, I didn't get pictures of it, it was early and I was confused. I started researching that after noon and came up with a few possible solutions. (Yesterday, at this point. 08/17/17)

I decided to rack it off the fruit and add the second sugar. I crushed 6 more tablets of campden and poured the remaining sugar in to the bottom of my secondary and racked on top of that. Stirred the wine after transfer to try and disrupt the sugar at the bottom and now have stalled fermentation SG is 1.010 and there is still a weird tallowy top inside the secondary.

I'll get a picture of it tonight, but in the mean time.... If any one has any insight as to what happened / went wrong / is it normal? / how to fix it.... I'd be very thankful.

It might not be too late to scrap this batch and start over, but I would really like to not have to get to that point.

Dosing with campden and transferring seems to be helping. The sour smell has dissipated and the specific white substance from the top has dissipated all together.

I need to figure out a better process to filter my fruit from my wine... But that's about it. The "Peach Pulp" is making a comical attempt to escape my secondary fermentor and has floated an inch or two worth of sediment to the top with the escaping gases.

Back