PBW on Aluminum Kettles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monmouth00

Reaction score
After my first brew in the new aluminum kettle, I did a full clean with PBW. Brought it to 160 degrees and let it circulate for a full hour.
it seems to have knocked off my oxidation layer, because the pot looks a lot more shiny than when I started the batch. Should I re-passivate with boiling water before I brew again? If I brew without boiling first, can I harm the beer or myself?
I love the idea of the full deep clean after each brew, but obviously don’t want to make my beer undrinkable.
Thanks!

I have read of aluminum kettles that were pitted with only a few hours of PBW soaking.
If all it did was strip the oxide layer I'd consider myself lucky.
I think it would be prudent to remove any residue (PBW is notorious for leaving a scale) then bake or boil on a solid oxide layer...

Cheers!

If you use the kettle for the hot side of brewing only than a deep clean is not necessary. I just scrub mine out with soap and water and rinse well. I'm not really convinced the soap is necessary. The boil will kill anything you might worry about. As long as there is no visible residue you should be fine IMHO. As with anything brewing related you are likely to find divergent opinions. There are those that say we should not use aluminum.

I have read of aluminum kettles that were pitted with only a few hours of PBW soaking.
If all it did was strip the oxide layer I'd consider myself lucky.
I think it would be prudent to remove any residue (PBW is notorious for leaving a scale) then bake or boil on a solid oxide layer...

Cheers!
Well, part of the reason I wanted to do a full PBW clean was because the pot is already pitted. It's an old heavy duty 15 or more aluminum kettle that my father used to long cook just about anything that would fit in it. I'm nervous about stuff hiding even after a good scrub.

So back to my original question - should I re-passivate before I use it again, or can I go right back to brewing? What harm can I do if I don't?

I did recommend re-establishing the oxide layer.
The risk of leaving the kettle with exposed raw aluminum is more pitting - and aluminum compounds in your beer, I expect.
The metal from those pits has to end up somewhere...

Cheers!

Back