PBW Killed My Auto Siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilliamWS

Reaction score
Just a heads-up to anyone using PBW: Don't leave your auto siphon soaking in it. I left an auto siphon that has been used on four batches and looked brand new in a PBW solution over night (along with some other gear). When I pulled it out it looked fine but when it dried it developed thousands of little cracks all over. Some are very deep-the whole thing now feels rough. It's definitely toast.
I've read about similar things happening before but most of those threads attributed the cracking to heat. Well I can tell you that it was most certainly the PBW and not heat in this case. The water I used was luke warm at best and I have definitely used warmer water on auto siphons before with no issues. This is, however, the first time I've left one soaking in PBW (recently switched to PBW).
This is not to say that I'm going to stop using PBW or auto siphons for that matter just that the two don't seem to mix well for extended soaks.
-William

After my autosiphon broke and after reading about all the other broken/cracked ones, I went out and bout a nice stainless steel racking cane. Will last me forever.

Yeah, I might check those out when I go for a new one (which will be soon-I've got 10 gallons to bottle this weekend).

I will never buy another autosiphon again actually. Crappy cheap plastic. Buy a stainless racking cane and use co2 to transfer or use the stainless kit that brewershardware sells for sanke kegs.

Back