PB2 flavor in a porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BumpyAZ

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a chocolate porter this weekend and was thinking of throwing in some PB2 into the boil and secondary to make it a peanut butter cup porter. Now, I've had Sweet Baby Jesus in the past and picked up a Springhouse Big Gruesome the other day. I found that I haven't really been a fan of those beers as they seem to give off an artificial nutty aroma/flavor, far from what I expect out of peanut butter. I'd expect that these breweries aren't using PB2 or another similar product as I'm sure it would get very expensive with the size batches they're probably making, assuming they're using some sort of artificial peanut flavoring (hence the flavor I'm getting). Can anyone who has brewed with PB2 comment on whether the flavor will end up similar to these other peanut butter beers or will it end up smelling/tasting more like the jar of PB2, which is way more peanuty? I'm apprehensive about making a beer that I won't like the smell/taste of but the flavor combination is just to damn appealing!

Thanks for the info. Decided I didn't want to do a fill batch with the PB2 so I kept 1 gallon on the side to add a little extra cocoa powder and the PB2 powder to and will ferment the rest of the batch out with the standard recipe. I did make a cup of hot chocolate with the cocoa powder and added some PB2 to it to see how they might interact. Came out pretty good so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I have used PB2 in the boil before. I was planning on the same brew to boil it with some water and use it for secondary also, however instead I picked up Watkins peanut butter flavoring and put a little in at bottling.

It was a hit.

Back