Pathetic First Year Harvest :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My first year Cascades, only 1.5 oz. wet. Definately going to move my hop plants next year. Chinook has less than 1 oz. and my Centennial and Hallertau grew, but produced absolutely no hops.

img2665u.jpg

I've got 2 cascades that grew pretty nicely but so far I haven't seen any signs of cones forming on either of them.

It's not unheard of for even Cascades to not produce much in the first year. If they are watered, and get PLENTY of sunlight, they generally do.

The other varieties often won't produce first year, with the same caveats.

I'm moving my hallertau to a sandier, sunnier location for next year. They had a rough first year. (wife pulled them up shortly after they were planted while weeding the beds.

I've got 2 cascades that grew pretty nicely but so far I haven't seen any signs of cones forming on either of them.

I don't have any cones on my cascades either. They get full sun, good watering and they are about 20 feet tall. Got them in the ground just after mothers day. Maybe next year.

Why move them this year? I planted Cascade, Williamette, and Hallertau. I estimate I may get 2-3 oz dry Cascade (13 feet tall) and 2-3 oz dry Williamette (14 feet tall). I initially planted my Hallertau too deep, so it only ended up being 5 feet tall with no hops. But overall I'm pretty happy with this for the first year. I expect LOTS more next year.

I would give them another year in the same spot and see what happens next year. I rarely hear of great harvests from the first year as the plants are putting most of their energy into the root system.

Yup - you can't count on first year. It's just the development year - second year will be loads different if they got plenty of sun and proper water/nutrients. My first year, some of my plants produced (5 dried ounces tops), some didn't.

Same with me, plants are very healthy but no cones. Centennials and chinooks both had some but about .75oz and .25oz dry. I'm sure next year will be different tho. I picked up some 20-6-22 fertilizer with trace elements earlier this summer and have been using that every week. I think if i would have used it in the spring i would have had a bigger crop.

Leave them where they are. Maybe add some dried horse manure in the fall when you cut the bines back and cover them with leaves.

Try them whee they are for another year. I predict you will be happier next fall.

Here is a pic from 2 of my Centennials I got 20 oz. 1 got roughly 3 lbs from 3 of my 1st year cascades.

IMG_3677a2.jpg

Here is how i prepared the bed. The little hops in the clay pots were the cascades.

IMG_11091.JPG

Here is a pick of those:

IMG_36721.JPG

All 1st year:

IMG_3669.JPG

I say it is all in the soil and how you prepare it.

How can you tell the OP to not move his plants or do better soil prep when we don't know anything about the circumstances he is growing in? Details?

How can you tell the OP to not move his plants or do better soil prep when we don't know anything about the circumstances he is growing in? Details?

samc- the 1 cascade plant that i planted outside my group of 1st years, they had the same results of only a 2 oz harvest. My 1st years in the group above i already harvested 2 times and i will havest a 3rd. Do you have pictures of your hops?

Back