pasteurizing cider in a demijohn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sa101

Reaction score
I ran out of bottles, had 5 litres left in my bottling bucket, so poured the final product into my 1 galon demijohn.
Has anyone had any experience in heating up these smaller demijohns? I hate flat ciders, so thats not an option.
The only other thing I can think of is just cold crashing it and drinking it all at once with a bunch of mates.
Thoughts???

I think the problem would lie more in getting it hot enough long enough to kill the yeast. With individual bottles you have lots of surface area to warm the inside liquid, but with one large vessel compared to about 12 smaller ones you minimize surface area to liquid levels. I would just suggest treating it once and then treating it again once the water has heated back up if that makes sense.

it's not at all clear what you're trying to do. carbonate some cider in a gallon demijohn and then heat that up to kill the yeast? if so, i offer the following super helpful critique: Really??

Is your demijohn a screw cap or a beer cap that needs to be capped on? I could see there possibly being some problems if it's a screw cap. It could release pressure as the liquids heat up inside. This happened to me with some larger grolsch style bottles I bought from Ross. Good luck, be SAFE!!!
Let us know how it goes. I might give it a try if it's a success for you

it's not at all clear what you're trying to do. carbonate some cider in a gallon demijohn and then heat that up to kill the yeast? if so, i offer the following super helpful critique: Really??

That's exactly what I'm doing :) Like I said, I ran out of bottles, so I wasn't just going to throw out some of that delicous caramel cider! And again, I hate still ciders.

I've only got a swing-top stopper, so there's definately some gas escaping during the carbonation phase. I think I'll give it a go, keep the temp as constant as possible and keep it in there longer (probably around 30 minutes). I'll make sure to keep an eye on it so the cider doesn't explode through the top, fingers crossed!

Is the demijohn rated for pressure? I'd dare say not! Be careful.

I'd leave it in the demijohn for now until I could get some more bottles. I'll age in there just fine if the head space is minimal.

ended up just cold crashing, wasn't confident about the glass lasting in the heat :( Drank it all in one sitting with a couple of friends 2 nights ago. Was much much flatter than the bottled versions, but still tasted great!
Thanks for the help guys

Back