Passow's DIY Kegerator Project (now with 10% more meat)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imaguitargod

Reaction score
:ban: FINALLY! Finally am going the kegging route! Last night I picked up a free refrigerator from Fred down at Hoppin’ Frog Brewery while we were jamming. This morning I cleared out the area (while enjoying a Double IPA Homebrew…ten separate hops were used..big beer) that it’s going to go and tonight I’ll put the unit in place (pics coming tomorrow or tonight).

Here’s where it’s going. Tanner, the family dog is checking the area out. He knows I used to keep my bottled homebrew there and now it’s in the other room…which has him concerned…he’s my drinking buddy and seems to enjoy all beer styles (although he dislikes Miller High Life):

kegproject1.jpg

My game plan is still in motion as to if I’m going to piece it out or just get a conversion kit. First thing I’m going to purchase is a temp control unit because I’ve got a Lager I need to start cold conditioning ASAP. I’ll update this thread with my trials, tribulations, and pictures as things occur. Enjoy! :mug:

Took it out of the car, down the stairs and onto the ground an hour ago. Vacuumed all the dust off of it, then Windexed the back area and underneath (just the areas I wouldn’t be able to get to when it’s in place). Took pictures of the nice instructions on the back of it (it shows where all the coils are and what each part does….that’s going to come in handy).

Then we (my friend helped me move it…he said, “I have no clue how you keep roping me into helping you with these beer things”, to which I said, “You know you like it.”, and he says, “Ya….and I get to learn cool stuff from it too!”) moved it into place and plugged it in. It gurgled for a few minutes so I decided to move the table that was in it’s place before up to the 3rd floor.

kegproject2.jpg

We came back down and I didn’t hear any thing. I put my ear up to the side and smiled…it was humming smoothly. Quickly, I swung the door open and was hit with a blast of cold air….she’s working PERFECTLY! I pulled the plug, shoved a carboy in there to see if it would fit (it does), and cracked a homebrew. Up next…temp gauge (which may be tomorrow, may be in a week or two).

kegproject4.jpg

You'll notice in this next picture there is no plastic shelf unit on the door...not sure if this is going to complicate things or not. On one hand I only have to drill on the outside door instead of inside and outside. On the other hand it's not hard plastic, it's softer cardboard so maybe the shanks for the tap won't have a very firm spot to hold onto....we'll see...
kegproject3.jpg

if you laid it on its side, the lubricating oil in the engine and compressor are not in the right areas and it will burn out quickly. let it sit for 24 hours so all the cooling oils and lubes are in their right places so it will last

For the inside of the door, you could buy a half sheet or so of 1/8 bathroom wall paneling or something similar. Dependent on how the gasket is set up, you can cut the panel to fit in the grooves or remove the gasket, instal the panel, then reattach the gasket. I did this with an older garage fridge...worked and looked great. You'll also likely have to put in a block to you can tighten the shank...I also did this...simply cut a piece of plywood or pine block to fit the gap between the steel outer and paneling inner...glue in place before you drill and your home free.

Just soom thoughts...good luck!

For the inside of the door, you could buy a half sheet or so of 1/8 bathroom wall paneling or something similar. Dependent on how the gasket is set up, you can cut the panel to fit in the grooves or remove the gasket, instal the panel, then reattach the gasket. I did this with an older garage fridge...worked and looked great. You'll also likely have to put in a block to you can tighten the shank...I also did this...simply cut a piece of plywood or pine block to fit the gap between the steel outer and paneling inner...glue in place before you drill and your home free.

Just soom thoughts...good luck!
I like the plywood block idea! Thanks!

Can't blame the dog for not liking Miller High Life. At least he has taste
Hehehe...ya...it's nice to know he has good taste. I only give him a little drop on my finger for each beer I open while I'm home. I'll open one and sit down...a minute later he comes runnign down stairs and sits infront of me as if to say "Well....I'm here...what do you have open now?".

I'll give him a sample, he analises it, then goes away. My drinking buddy... :tank:

Loads of work done over the past two days. When I had help putting the fridge in place, I stuck my head in the door and the air felt thick so I ask my friend to stick his nose in there to tell me what it smells like (I don’t have a sense of smell). He said it was musky and metal like.

Yesterday I started to clean the inside and I removed the bottom tray…there it was. It looked like someone spilled a few pounds of liquid malt extract and left it to dry for a few years.

kegproject5.jpg

So after soaking, toweling up, and repeating a few times over the day, it came up clean. I sprayed everything down with sanitizing spray (they say that helps eliminate odors), left sit for 5 minutes, then towel dried it:
kegproject6.jpg

Friday I got my car fixed and since it wasn’t too expensive, I had enough left over to get my extension chord and temperature control unit. Here it is in the picture bellow. I’m actually going to either hand it from the fridge side or from the painted wall next to it (I’m going to affix one of those 3M Jumbo hooks that can hold 7.5 pounds…the unit’s only 2 pounds though). Also, note how I have the chord going up.
kegproject7.jpg

The next picture shows how I have the extension chord running. It basically goes up over a cabinet, down, loops around a handle, next to the dryer, behind the dryer and sanitary sink, and behind the washing machine, up and into the plug.
kegproject8.jpg

Up next I’m going to do a cost analysis of where I should get the parts from or if I should just get a conversion kit...also, I’m going to cut some templates the size of the bottom of a corny keg and CO2 tank and size things up.

Officially have had the new temp guadge in place since a week and a half ago, just now getting around to posting a picture. I purchased and installed a hook that will hold 7.5lbs (the actual unit itself is only 2 lbs....I know, overkill).

kegproject9.jpg

Got almost everything parted out to various suppliers. First major order will be sent out in a week and a half and will cost me $300.

After placing my order, I finally received it last week! $300 worth of equipment, all neatly packaged. Like a kid on Christmas, I tore into the box, packing paper flying into the air (that was tough to clean up…ugh…). I’m so excited! Up next is taking out the freezer section of the refrigerator and installing the equipment. Then I have to order some more parts.

kegproject10.jpg

Hey, does anyone know if that washer dangling from the regulator is supposed to go in the threaded section when you attach it to the CO2 tank?

Yes, That is most likely what the washer is for. You can't get a good seal with metal touching metal. I personally am using an O-ring right now only because I was impatient and didn't want to wait to get a washer. Luckily the O-ring is working fine. I will replace with the correct washer eventually. You have to remember that there is roughly 800 PSI running from the tank to the regulator. Make sure there is something in there sealing it, preferably the washer. And don't be hesitant to tighten it down really tight.

yeah and you can get those washers for like a nickel to replace, so it's OK to do it every once in a while to ensure your seal.

How'd i miss this thread?

I was trying to think why my build (very soon) isn't costing so much, but than i remembered i got my faucet, tank, and regulator at a flea market.

I'll be watching, Passow. looks good. Can you do some creepy dark and demonic painting on it?

Figured it was there for something like that. Never had to asemble one of these tanks before.

How'd i miss this thread?
I think beer had something to do with that...

I was trying to think why my build (very soon) isn't costing so much, but than i remembered i got my faucet, tank, and regulator at a flea market.
Nice score!

I'll be watching, Passow. looks good. Can you do some creepy dark and demonic painting on it?
I could...but do I really want to is the question....I think I'm just going to collect magnets from breweries and slap them on it.

Ok, here's the latest update. I drilled the holes and mounted the taps:
kegproject14.jpg

I cut a piece of...something I found that's akin to wood, and mounted that on the back of the fridge. Since it's just insulation on the back, someone suggested I do this to help make things stable:
kegproject15.jpg

Tonight I throw some cleaner in the corny, Sunday morning I clean, sanitize, and put my doopelbock in it. A week or two later, the tapping of the keg!

After letting the keg soak overnight in cleanser, I sanitized, reassembled, purged the O2 out, and racked my beer into the keg:
kegproject16.jpg

Then I connected my CO2 tank, purged the keg again, and set the regulator to 14PSI so that at 45F I'll get 2.4 units of carbonation. I'm going to leave it for probably about a week or two, attach my line, and do the first pour from my FULLY ARMED AND OPERATIONAL KEGERATOR!!! MWAHAHAHAHA!!!

kegproject17.jpg

I really felt like I was going to have a rough time figuring out how to use the regulator on the CO2 tank, but it was super simple. The only thing I had trouble with was that stupid gauge cage...man that was a pain to assemble!

Looks good man. I know one more person i'm coming to with advice once i get my co2 situated. Thank goodness.

How are the t.scorpions doing? Mine is still alive last i checked.

Looks good man. I know one more person i'm coming to with advice once i get my co2 situated. Thank goodness.
At this point I'm pritty much an expert in theory.

How are the t.scorpions doing? Mine is still alive last i checked.
All but 1 sprouted.......I'm doing my best to keet that one plant alive. I've had a big problem with verticillium wilt this year for some reason so I'm hanging onto that one plant for dear life at this point.

At this point I'm pritty much an expert in theory.

All but 1 sprouted.......I'm doing my best to keet that one plant alive. I've had a big problem with verticillium wilt this year for some reason so I'm hanging onto that one plant for dear life at this point.
i've had bad germination rates myself. kind of annoyed actually. i had great rates last year.

What are your plans for a drip tray?
This is one of the things that determined how I would space my taps out. I looked at the width of the drip trays available and compared it to where I would feel comfortable drawing beer from each tap without getting in the way with each other. It worked out that I need a 13 inch drip tray. It's not a priority as of yet, but I will be getting one eventually.

Keg tapping was yesterday!!!!!
kegproject18.jpg

It went great. I set it at 8 psi for the first pour then up to 9 for the second, and then to 10 psi for the third pint and that gave me the perfect pour.
kegproject19.jpg

Here's me sipping my first kegged homebrew, my doppelbock (Passow's Baby Got Bock)
kegproject20.jpg

And it was sooooooooo good:
kegproject21.jpg

Latest posts

Back