Party fridge fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowlife

Reaction score
Anybody ever try to use of these as a fermenter? I think I might be able to get one for about 50 dollars. Do you think it would work well?

http://www.soleusair.com/soleusair/Manuals/Party Fridge/MC-88.User.Manual.pdf

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
MODEL MC-88, MC-88M, MC-88S
POWER SUPPLY 115V - 60Hz
RATED CURRENT 1.7A
TEMPERATURE 39 - 61F
STANDBY COOLING TIME 5-10 HOURS
DIMENSIONS 20" ROUND / 32.5" TALL
WEIGHT 51.5 LBS.

Looks like it would be a PITA to top-load carboy's into...

Pro's...inexpensive and it looks like the temp control is fairly adjustable...if not, might need a temproller for finer adjustment...

I actually have a Red Bull fridge. The one that looks like a giant Red Bull can. It works quite well. Just put a johnson temp controller on it and you should be good to go.

Also, as for putting the carboys into it, a brew-hauler makes short work of lifting it in and out.
brewhaulerthumb..jpg

Edit: I guess what I was saying, is that fridge whould work wonders. It looks like it has a temp controller built in but it doesn't say the range. For lagering you'd need to get it down to almost freezing. If it doesn't have that range. Get an external temp controller and bypass the built in thermostat and turn that thing all the way on. No reason it shouldn't work. Ales, well then I'm sure the range is just fine.

Well, my thoughts were it would be easier to use than most setups. I use a freezer to ferment normally, which would be taller. I only use plastic for primaries so no issues there. Range of 39 to 61 seems appropriate for fermenting anything really. I might try it. It has a digital temp readout on it as well.

Back