Parts list for gas controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
I was looking at the control panels on ebrewsupply and since this is all new to me, I was curious if anyone could supply a parts list for me. I currently have a 2 burner stand with 20 gallon HLT and BK with the Ss 20 gallon InfuSsion MT. The large HERMS from Blichmann is mounted in the HLT. I am looking to purchase the control panel and not sure of other items needed, I.e. gas valves and components to let the control panel automate my brew day. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Got it. I built a DIY version just to control my mash tun. I control HLT and Boil kettle manually. It looks like all you really need for this system is a valve, pilot, wiring and gas connection hoses.

I went with this valve on my DIY system:
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywe...C78xB-Fe9DErzZYeP3TxmLwntJ7Mw3QBoCgJEQAvD_BwE
It uses a standing pilot light and thermocouple so you will need a propane version of this (unless you are on NG too):
Water Heater Pilot Assembely Includes Pilot Thermocouple and Tubing Natural Gas - - Amazon.com
or you can buy the three parts here separately (pilot light, pilot light tube and thermocouple).

There is another valve commonly used - Redhat I think - that doesn't require a thermocouple on the pilot light. To me that is dangerous on a brew stand, the thermocouple is there to make sure the valve will not send gas if the pilot light is out. The Blichmann uses a different design. Instead of a pilot light it has a spark ignitor that will try to light the burner a few times before giving up so it is also safe but based on my experience with gas stoves and barbecues I'm a little skeptical of that approach and like simplicity of pilot light that I can see is working.

You are also going to need a ball valve in between the solenoid valve and the burner. This controls the amount of gas you supply to the burner. Unlike electricity your PID will be on/off only (control mode) not supplying a variable amount of gas to the burner the way an electric brewing PID controller can supply 100% to the element when trying to get wort to a boil and then backing off to 20% to hold the boil. Gas is either on or off.

And then some way to get the gas from your valve to your burner. I am using something like these that include the ball valve I just mentioned:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/HOME-FL...ig8HKVOzoIIBuUynWpxoCdRcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Back