Partigyle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I've been interested in trying this. However I'd not be too happy with a weak beer and I don't want to need to add DME to bring it up to a tolerable level (>4.5% knowing the priming sugar will boost it a couple of points).

I've asked a brewing friend if I'd be able to use his 10 gal cooler tun as mine is but 5 gals and wouldn't make an initial beer in a large enough volume (2.75 gals +) I don't think.

I've been considering using just the first runnings on the initial beer and my typical 3 batch sparges to pull the remainder (my 5.25 gal batches mash with 3 gals and sparge with 3.75 gals with my quart starter making up the last bit and I allow gravity to pull a bit more and squeeze the grains).

Does anyone have a general idea of where to begin if I'm wanting to target the second smaller beer to be 4.5-4.8%? Anyone done this?

I was considering an old/strong ale or maybe a stout.

Ending up with one strong and one weak beer is kind of the POINT of partigyle, if you ask me. You're going to want something to drink while you wait for your barleywine to finish fermenting! My last partybatch was a 12.5% ABV barleywine and a small beer that we turned into a mild by steeping a bit of crystal and chocolate malt. I would prefer something like that to just adding gravity via malt extract.

For sure it would be weaker, but I wouldn't want it below 4.5% knowing it would be bumped up to 4.7% with priming sugar.

I typically take upwards of an hour to finish a beer.

One suggestion, on your first running and you have obtained enough wort, cap the mash with a few pounds of additional malt. I use about 3 to 5 lbs. I mix this all together in my mash tun and let it lit while I boil my first running. After I'm done with the first brew, I will drain the tun and mash out to get my desired volume. Good luck.

I've been wondering if I'd even get a reasonable gravity if I didn't add any grains. Ultimately I'd much prefer a higher gravity to a lower one, but then I suppose I could always add DME if needed. Naturally I'd prefer it to turn out right without doing anything.

Back