Partigyle cluster foxtrot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seejayabney

Reaction score
This weekend myself and some homebrew friends are going to attempt a partigyle brew just to see how the numbers land.

22lb 2-row for a barley wine / IPA or APA depending on gravity of second runnings.

To everyone who has tried this are there any lessons learned from your brew day?

Current thoughts: I am going to mash 12G of water @ 149 for the barleywine and then boil down to an acceptable gravity. HOPING for somewhere around 5G.

Second brewer is going to add in some crystal and then add his water for 15 or 20 minutes.

I don't think your plan is going to work well. 22 lbs of 2row @ 75% efficiency will give you 594 sugar points. 5 gallons of a barleywine is pretty much all the available sugar, so you would have nothing left for the second beer. You'll either need to up the grain bill or reduce that batch size.

I don't think your plan is going to work well. 22 lbs of 2row @ 75% efficiency will give you 594 sugar points. 5 gallons of a barleywine is pretty much all the available sugar, so you would have nothing left for the second beer. You'll either need to up the grain bill or reduce that batch size.

We have no clue what will actually happen as far as gravity goes. However, I already plan on boiling down until I hit a certain barleywine-esqee gravity. So, yeah.

Nice, I tried partigyle once, the double brew day wasn't too bad, the double bottling day sucked.

I always stagger. I feel like the bigger beer usually benefits from at least an extra week of aging anyway.

Back