Partial volume boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechMiller

Reaction score
So I am in a small apartment and don't have to space or place to setup a propane burner and boil large volumes.

I have done several AG BIAB on the stove with a 4gall pot, these have turned out great!

I guess what I am wondering is, what is the downside of doing a full mash in a cooler and then using top up water to reach a 5-5.5 gallon batch size?

Also, if I did this and put everything into BeerSmith, will it take into account those short comings?

I believe that I have heard you will less hop utilization, is there other problems?

Thanks!

For most of the calculators you put the boil volume and the batch size in separately. In general it is consuidered preferable where equipment permits to do full volume boil. The hops utilization will be a bit different, but not a huge issue. In general the biggest difference wil be your OG readiung. It will usually be lower than actual because the wart is warmer and heavier than the water. It is nearly impossible to mix them thoroughly enough to get a reliable reading.

Back