Partial mash with rice, oats or pasta

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadMrFrosty

Reaction score
I am working out what I want to experiment with and decided that as rice, oats and pasta are cheap and readily available I would try to do a partial mash brew with them. From what I have read, they need to be mashed with malt to release the sugars. I cant get pre crushed malt here and dont want to invest in a crusher at this time. Is it possible to mash without malt grains and still get fermentable sugars from the grains?

No. You need the enzymes from the malt. Malt is grain they've allowed to begin germinating. The enzymes help the seeds get the energy they need to grow. When it gets to the right stage and the enzymes are present is when they dry it out and roast it to get the many varieties that are out there.

Without the enzymes the starch isn't converted into sugar.

Otherwise, I'd say go for it and see what happens. In such a case your best bet would be to use 6 Row barley it has more enzymes available and can help convert starch adjuncts.

Back