Partial Mash with a 10 gallon round cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deranma

Reaction score
I have searched for quite a while and still haven't found the answer to my question, so I am posting my own thread as a result.

I am looking to start partial mashing some 5 gallon batches. I was on my way to getting AG equipment, but I have hit a snag and so for the time I would like to use some of the equipment I got for a partial mash until I get everything figured out. So my question is can I use a 10 gallon round cooler for a partial mash recipe? I have a 5 gal SS BK that I will use for the boil, but I also have a 8 gal AL pot that I could use for the boil.

So, I could use more grain then the usual PM recipe, but I can't do a full boil due to the time it takes a gas stove to get it there.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or comments would be awesome, thanks.

Yes you can do PM and adjust your grain bill but you will also need to make adjustments to your hop additions for utilization as a partial boil as well. You will also want to be sure to pre-heat your cooler since you will not be using a lot of grain and don't want to lose a lot of heat to empty space during your mash.

If you are using software then enter your recipe as a partial mash with your equipment profile and set up and the calculations should be done for you. If you need help with the recipe and such just post it and someone with experience in what you want to do will definitely have your back!

Alright, got any suggestions for a recipe that would be ideal for my setup. Should I use the 5gal pot or 8gal pot?

Alright, got any suggestions for a recipe that would be ideal for my setup. Should I use the 5gal pot or 8gal pot?

If you have an 8 gallon kettle you should be able to do a full boil if your stove can get it boiling or maybe take the plunge and get a propane burner!

Check out this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f82/ for recipes, they are listed as partial mash, someplace to start anyway. you can look at types of beers you like.

If you have an 8 gallon kettle you should be able to do a full boil if your stove can get it boiling or maybe take the plunge and get a propane burner!

Check out this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f82/ for recipes, they are listed as partial mash, someplace to start anyway. you can look at types of beers you like.

The 8gal is an aluminum pot. I have heard good and bad things about them. I am planning on taking a plunge in coming months for a burner and a new 10gal BK.

deranma said:
The 8gal is an aluminum pot. I have heard good and bad things about them. I am planning on taking a plunge in coming months for a burner and a new 10gal BK.

If you take care of your aluminum pot and properly season it, it will last a long time, many people use them and if you do a search you'll find lots of good info on this.

FYI, just opened up the new Brew Your Own edition and there is an entire article on converting to partial mash and how to calculate grain bills and convert recipes:)

Volume 18, number 7. You might be able to find it online as well

Back