partial mash water-to-grains ratio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KFBass

Reaction score
So im working on a recipe with some local guys. Basically just trying to get all the supplies together to brew on my own.

"for a 5 gallon batch

3lb pale wheat malt
3lb amber dme
1lb chocolate malt...>>>>>>use 1/4
2lb canadian 2-row
1oz Perle for bittering full 60 min boil ...>>>>use 1/2
1oz saaz for aroma/bittering 20 min boil"

sorry its not in the standard laout for a recipe. What i'm gathering from this is the wheat malt, choc, and 2row is my steeping grains? Using some standard rations of a gallon of water to a pound of grains tho gets me 5.25gallons of water. 3 from pale wheat, 2 from 2row, and .25 from chocolate. That's alot of water...

am I reading this right? Is there a better way to split this up so it's more manageable? 5Gs of water is alot to deal with at one time. Specially if I'm doing a patial mash in the way that DeathBrewer described on the sticky, ie sparging and mashing is two separate pots then combining. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My dad and grandpa plan on doing this, the old timers to "get back into brewing" and myself to take on the family hobby with ernest. Nothing says family bonding like making a mess of the kitchen and a few brews :mug:

KFBass, I'm about to tackle my first partial mash on my next batch so I'm far from being an expert.

But from my understanding, plan on 1.25-1.5 quarts (not gallons) per lb of grain, then sparge with 1.5 times that much.

You can do the metric conversion.

i don't know where you got 1 gal of water/pound of grain. it's more like 1.25 quarts of water per pound of grain, so that gets you roughly 6.5 quarts of water, which is much more manageable with the stovetop method. i would shoot for a mash temp of 150-155 (the exact temp can make a difference, but getting in that ballpark should be fine).

Yeah my bad. That was def a misread of confusion. Quarts are def more manageable. That's like just shy of 6 litres. I can do that...

Since you understand Liters and Kilograms, the range of mash ratios is 3:1 to 7:1. For partial mashes, I use 5:1. The extra water increases temperature stability.

Latest posts

Back