Partial Mash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboymcd82

Reaction score
This is probably a really dumb question, but... I looked back on some threads here about using oat flakes in a beer, and I know I need to mash the oats. In many of the threads (about extract brewing), it says to simply throw in the pale malt with the oats and steep at a lower temp, and that's mashing it. But since these are extract threads, the "pale malt" they're talking about would be pale extract! Is it possible to mash just by dropping some pale malt extract in with the grains? You need the actual 2-row grains, right?

This is probably a really dumb question, but... I looked back on some threads here about using oat flakes in a beer, and I know I need to mash the oats. In many of the threads (about extract brewing), it says to simply throw in the pale malt with the oats and steep at a lower temp, and that's mashing it. But since these are extract threads, the "pale malt" they're talking about would be pale extract! Is it possible to mash just by dropping some pale malt extract in with the grains? You need the actual 2-row grains, right?

the extract has already been mashed. so just mash the oat

In many of the threads (about extract brewing), it says to simply throw in the pale malt with the oats and steep at a lower temp, and that's mashing it. But since these are extract threads, the "pale malt" they're talking about would be pale extract! Is it possible to mash just by dropping some pale malt extract in with the grains? You need the actual 2-row grains, right?

Right. You need the actual grain to mash, not the extract.

What recipe specifically are you referring to? We can help you do it.

Thanks! I figured you couldn't do it like that, which made me wonder when some of those threads seemed to almost *strongly* imply you could, without outright saying it, haha.

I don't actually have a recipe yet, but I'm looking to brew a oatmeal+coffee brown ale of some sort, probably just a half batch... Problem is, I've only done extract so far, so mashing the oats would make it my first partial mash. Guess I need to make the jump at some point, huh? Haha.

Thanks! I figured you couldn't do it like that, which made me wonder when some of those threads seemed to almost *strongly* imply you could, without outright saying it, haha.

I don't actually have a recipe yet, but I'm looking to brew a oatmeal+coffee brown ale of some sort, probably just a half batch... Problem is, I've only done extract so far, so mashing the oats would make it my first partial mash. Guess I need to make the jump at some point, huh? Haha.

It's not as scary as it seems- you just steep the oats with an equal amount of two row grains for 45 minutes at 150-155. That's it! If you can make tea, you can do a partial mash. Let us know if you need any help, and we'll be glad to offer some advice.

Ok, so I think I've come up with a recipe. I kinda based it on Sweetwater's Georgia Brown, and then adjusted it a little based on what I saw in recipes on here.

Batch Size: 2.5 Gal
Yeast: Nottingham Dry

Grains:
3# Pale Extract
1# Pale 2-row
1# Flaked Oats
0.5# Brown Sugar
4 oz Crystal 80
4 oz Cocoa Powder
3 oz Chocolate Malt
2 oz Crystal 20
2 oz Crystal 40

Hops:
0.25 oz Columbus -- 12.2AA @ 60min
0.25 oz Wilamette -- 4.7AA @ 30min
0.25 oz Wilamette -- 4.7AA @ 10min
0.25 oz Columbus -- 12.2AA -- dry hop

Coffee:
I looked on the forums here, and from what I can tell, the best bet would be to cold brew 0.25# of coffee in 1-2qts of water overnight, strain the grounds out, and add at flameout, since I just wanted a hint of coffee flavor.

Thoughts? I used the hopville.com calculator and it came out to 8.1% alcohol, 28IBU.

Latest posts

Back