Partial mash & late extract addition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlprice45

Reaction score
If I do a partial mash recipe as a 3 gallon partial boil (I don't have a bigger kettle), it seems it would be appropriate to use the late extract addition technique just like I would with a normal extract recipe. Am I right here? Many partial mash recipes that I see call for the extract at beginning of boil, but it seems to me the late addition would make for a better result. Thoughts?

Add half at the beginning, and the rest near the end.

You need some gravity in the boil to facilitate hop utilization. But it's fine to hold back some for the end to minimize scorching the extract and causing too many maillard reactions that are often blamed for that "extract twang" flavour.

LME is already boiled/pasteurized, so sanitization is not a concern.

I did the PM with late extract for a while. The PM would give me enough sugars for hops utilization. I would add my extract with 15 to flame out in order to give enough time to sterilize and get the extract worked into the wort. Hops utilization will go up slightly and less maillard reaction will occur (what I tend to think is some of the "extract" flavor). Overall, beers came out clear and fresher. I just got tired of burning holes in my grain bag, so I switched to a seven gallon cooler all-grain.

Add half at the beginning, and the rest near the end. You need some gravity in the boil to facilitate hop utilization.

I think the OP is saying that the wort gathered from his minimash is probably at a decent enough OG to not to have to worry about adding any extract at boil start.

Example:

1.055 OG at pre-boil (all minimash - no Extract added)
1.080 OG at boil end (minimash + Extract)

Back