partial mash IPA recipe recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe6pack

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good one? Not really looking for an over the top style, just a nice, easy drinking IPA.

If they use some of these ingredients I have on hand, all the better...

- 1/2 lb Caramunich II
- 1/2 oz Cascade 5.9%
- 1/2 oz Willamette 5.1%

Here's the recipe I used for my first IPA, which turned out great, by the way. It's called Jacksnap IPA for those interested and it's mostly my own recipe:

4.5 lbs light DME
2 lbs pale 2-row
1.5 lbs Crystal 40
2.5 oz Amarillo (7.5%) for 60 minutes
2 oz Cascade (5.5%) for 5 minutes
1.5 oz Amarillo dry hop for 10 days
Wyeast British Ale Yeast

Best of luck :mug:

Here's the recipe I used for my first IPA, which turned out great, by the way. It's called Jacksnap IPA for those interested and it's mostly my own recipe:

4.5 lbs light DME
2 lbs pale 2-row
1.5 lbs Crystal 40
2.5 oz Amarillo (7.5%) for 60 minutes
2 oz Cascade (5.5%) for 5 minutes
1.5 oz Amarillo dry hop for 10 days
Wyeast British Ale Yeast

Best of luck :mug:

Thanks for the reply. 5 gallon batch I guess? What temp did you mash at? What was the OG/FG?

Yes, 5 gallon batch. My target mash was 153 F, but it was on a stove top, so I went a bit high for a few minutes or so. The highest I saw was 157 F. OG was, IIRC, 1.052 and FG was about 1.014.

Good deal. Thanks nukebrewer.

What would you recommend as a dry yeast substitute for the Wyeast British Ale?

Also, I've never done a dry hop... do you just throw them into the secondary?

I don't have anything for you on dry yeast as I've never used it. Perhaps another member experienced with dry yeast an point you in the right direction. As for dry hopping, you can just throw them in there, but they might not all get into the wort. I recommend using a small grain bag to put the hops in with a couple sanitized ball bearings to keep all the hops in the wort. Just make sure the grain bag is large enough to allow the wort to get a hold of all the hops, not just the ones on the outer region of the grain bag. Good luck. :mug:

Try this for your mash:

3 lbs 2-row
1/2 lb Caramunich II
1/2 lb Crystal 60L

Mash at 152F for 1 hour. Sparge to collect three gallons. Kettle gravity ought to be ~1.036. Boil with the following hops schedule:

0.5 oz Cascades @ 5.9%AA - FWH
0.5 oz Willamette @ 5.1%AA - FWH
0.5 oz Challenger @ 8%AA - 60
1 oz East Kent Goldings - Flameout

IBU = ~43

Add light DME at flameout to make gravity ~1.055 (3.5 lbs?). Ferment with an English ale yeast. I prefer dry yeasts like Nottingham or S-04.

Dry hop with 1 oz East Kent Goldings for at least a week in the bright tank. If you dry-hop with pellets, make a thick hops slurry with hot water to the consistency of cream of wheat and add that to the bright tank before racking the beer from the primary. I've never had a problem with contact using that method.

Nice, easy-drinking English IPA. Please note that I haven't actually brewed this; I'm just thinking out loud.

Good luck!

Bob

Thanks nuke and bob.

I bet both recipes would be great...

Bob, Is that a 90 minute boil? I'm guessing the FWH means to put those hops in when the boil first starts?

3 lbs extra light DME
.25lbs corn sugar
3lbs American 2 row pale malt
2lbs rye malt
.75lbs carapils
.25lbs special B

1 oz Columbus hops 12.2AA (60 minutes)
.5 oz kent goldings (12 min)
.5 oz willamette (12 min)
.5 oz willamette (1 min)
.5 oz kent goldings (added to secondary)
.5 oz cascade (added to secondary)

Safale s-04 yeast

I did a protein rest at 122 for the rye(to aid in clarity) then mashed at 155.

I did 10 days in primary at 65, then 11 in secondary at 65(dry-hopped). It has been in bottles 15 days, I tried on last night. Not yet fully carbonated so I haven't seen how the aroma will end up. Awesome hop flavor with a mellow bitterness. You could sub out the carapils and Special B for 3/4 lbs crystal malt to make things simpler. I didn't have any problems with sparge, I did a batch sparge, but it might be a good idea to throw in some rice hulls to prevent a stuck sparge.

Thanks for the recipe bbrim.

I don't have an MLT, so I'm using a big grain bag for mashing. Otherwise I'd just go ahead and do AG.

That's how I did it on this batch. The lack of husk material wasn't really an issue! Or maybe it was and I just never knew it ;).

Duh... yeah that would work just as good for the grain bag as anything else. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

I know you're in Nebraska... but why the corn sugar?

Bob, Is that a 90 minute boil? I'm guessing the FWH means to put those hops in when the boil first starts?

60 minutes is sufficient boil time.

First Wort Hops means adding that charge to the brewkettle when you first begin to run the sweet wort from the mash tun to the brewkettle. When the boil starts, the hops will already be in there. In other words, put the pellets or flowers in the kettle before you begin to collect wort from the mash.

First wort hopping is a way to get flavor as well as bittering properties from the same charge of hops. In my opinion, it also gives a smoother flavor than a late addition.

Bob

I made a mess during the sparge and lost a bit of wort, I didn't want my O.G. to drop too far as a result. Besides corn sugar is not explicitly outside the parameters of IPA recipe formulation, not that it matters since I used Special B.

To avoid a concentrated boil, which affects hops utilization. Some call it "late addition" in extract brewing; in this context the principle is equal.

Bob

Back