Partial Mash IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tysonj55

Reaction score
2.25 lbs. American 2-row
.75 lbs. American Vienna
.25 lbs. 2-Row Carapils®
2.5 lbs. Dry Amber
.5 lbs. Dry Light Extract
.5 oz. Magnum (Pellets, 13.7 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.5 oz. Mt. Hood (Pellets, 5.2% AA) boiled 45 min.
.5 oz. Saaz (Pellets, 5.8 %AA) boiled 30 min.
.75 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 6 %AA) boiled 5 min.
Yeast : Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05

Looking to brew this tomorrow and had one question as well as looking for any comments anyone had. Using Deathbrewers partial mash method for a 3 gal boil and 2.5 gal batch. Predicted OG @ 1.084 and here is where my question comes in. Will pitching one pack of the US-05 be enough? This will be my first high gravity brew so I was looking for any advice you guys might have.

Thanks as always,

TJ

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

according to the calc you would need 1.5 packages. i'd just toss in 2. also, IMO i would want more hops for a DIPA. at least throw in some for dry hopping. just my opinion though...

Its an 11.5 gram pack so I should be good according to this. Thanks for the link tho', I'll save it so I can use it later.

I just may taker your advice on that dry hop :D

I'd add more late hops, too, not just dryhop. Only 3/4 of an ounce of cascade for all of the flavor and aroma hops just won't cut it, in my opinion. You'll have plenty of bittering, since you've got three bittering additions. But I'd definitely go with some flavor hops at 15 minutes, and probably some at flame out too.

should probably make a starter.
also: are you sure about those numbers? i plugged it into my software and got an OG of 1.046

I'm pretty sure yeah. I used beertools for everything. Did you calculate for a 2.5 gallon batch or 5?

Yea I didn't read that part :drunk: When I posted that I had just got done ordering the stuff to my my own IIPA and I was thinking that looked a little light, but apparently i was rdwhahb'ing too much.

I'd add more late hops, too, not just dryhop. Only 3/4 of an ounce of cascade for all of the flavor and aroma hops just won't cut it, in my opinion. You'll have plenty of bittering, since you've got three bittering additions. But I'd definitely go with some flavor hops at 15 minutes, and probably some at flame out too.

It sounds like I really need some more hops. I got time to go pick some up. What do you suggest? I'm a n00b, throw me a bone here :D

If you're into Left Coast IPAs, more Cascade/Amarillo/Simcoe at 15 minutes. I'd get 2 ounces, one for flavor at 15 minutes and the rest for dry hopping.

I've never used a secondary fermentation or dry hopped. My primary is a 5 gallon carboy and I've read around here that I probably don't want that much head room (2.5 gallong batch) in a secondary. I guess I will need to pick up a 3 gallon carboy when I go to the LHBS if I want to do this huh?

Also...how long do you normally primary before racking to secondary adding hops and then how long til bottle?

Yesterday I was getting these grains ready to measure and notice that none of the bags are labeled. Had four 1# bags....1 Vienna and 3 Am. 2 Row. They all looked exactly the same. Called the company and the guy tried his best to help to identify the outlier by taste. Apparently the Vienna grains were supposed to taste less sweet than the 2 row. I picked the one that I thought was right and went with it. All is done now and airlock is aggresively bubbling away. Time will tell. :p

2.25 lbs. American 2-row
.75 lbs. American Vienna
.25 lbs. 2-Row Carapils®
2.5 lbs. Dry Amber
.5 lbs. Dry Light Extract
.5 oz. Magnum (Pellets, 13.7% AA) boiled 60 min.
.75 oz. Mt. Hood (Pellets, 5.2% AA) boiled 45 min.
.5 oz. Saaz (Pellets, 5.8 %AA) boiled 30 min.
1 oz. Simcoe (Pellets 12.7% AA) boiled 15 min
.75 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 6 %AA) boiled 5 min.
1 oz. Centennial (Whole 9.1% AA) 7 day dry hop
Yeast : Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05

First I wanna thank everyone for the pre brew suggestions. My final recipe is above and I tasted this after 3 weeks of bottle conditioning. It turned out OK at best and I'm most disappointed w/ the finishing taste. It's very weak, no residual hops at all. What hops addition contributes to the finish and what can I do next to improve on this brew?

Latest posts

Back