Partial Mash Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b33risGOOD

Reaction score
Good Day :)

So I want to try my luck at a partial mash, since I now have the equipment to do so but im having a hard time finding a 5 gallon IPA recipe.

I need help selecting the grains, since Ive never done this before. I know 2 row is commonly used but i dont know what else or how much? Looking for an OG around 1.050.

I dont need advice on hops, yeast or procedure just which grains to use. Everything I found in the recipe section was for different batch sizes or styles.

Thanks.

If you find a recipe you like you can convert it to accommodate your needs. For an all grain you're looking at 85% 2-row, 10% Munich and 5% crystal. The percentages will vary slightly but that's a rough outline. For a 1.050 you're looking at about a 10 lb grain bill. You can certainly sub some LME for the 2-row and do a mini-mash.

Figure 7 pounds of LME syrup is about 10 pounds of grain. Typical grains in an IPA are 2-row for base malt with some Munich and/or Vienna and crystal malt. What extract IPA recipes have you done already?

My extract IPA were all done using DME and hops (Cascade, Amarillo, centenial) I have only used specialty grains when making a stout, my last brew.

So I have really limited information on what grains to use. I dont mind a little color either.

10 pounds seems like a lot, most of the recipes i came across used something like 5# of grain plus LME or DME

10 pounds seems like a lot, most of the recipes i came across used something like 5# of grain plus LME or DME
Right. 10 pounds would be for an All Grain.

Lets say your extract recipe called for 7 pounds of DME and you want to use half DME and half grains. 3.5 extract = 5 pounds of grain. Using a 80% base malt and 15% specialty leaving 5% for crystal would mean you would use 4 pounds 2-row, .75 pounds Munich and .25 pounds of Crystal malt FOR EXAMPLE to replace the DME.

10 lbs if doing all grain. Partial mash would be about 6.6 lbs of LME, 1 lb of Munich and 1/2 lb crystal.

ohh, I interpeted what you wrote wrong. I understand what you meant now.

So I should get some 2 row, some munich and crystal? and use roughtly those porportions?

In my IPA all grain recipes I use about:

75% 2 row or specialty Pilsner malt (Base Malt)
9-10% Munich
9-10% Vienna
6-5% Crystal 20, 30, or 40

Step 1: Make friends with Hopville, Beersmith, Brewtarget, or any other of the recipe calculators. Many are free online, others are well worth the nominal fee (with a free trial period to boot). This will let you play with amounts of various grains and extracts, and get the gravity you want for whatever batch size you need.

2. Find a recipe that looks like what you want, based on flavor, reviews, or whatever. Keep all the specialty grains, and add an equal amount of 2-row. So you'll probably have about 3 pounds of grain in your mash, half of which will be standard 2-row pale malt.

3. Then let your recipe calculator tell you how much extract to use.

This is how I converted AG recipes to partial mash. Hope that helps!

Back