Partial Grain Tupelo Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chavi

Reaction score
I have made this beer probably three or four times and I really enjoy it. I thought I would share it with others just to get some feedback!

Recipe:

3# Liquid Malt Extract
3# US 2 Row
7 oz. Honey Malt
1.5# Tupelo Honey sometimes
1# Flaked Corn
1 oz. Mittlefruh 4.8%
WLP001 California Ale Yeast

Directions:

Add all the grain and corn into a strain bag and put into a pot heated to 150 degrees. Steep grain for 1 hour. After the hour is over, sparge grain and add the LME. Bring this to a boil. Add 3/4 oz. mittlefru and let boil for 1 hour. During the last 10 minutes, add the remaining hops. When the boil is over, add in the honey. NOTE: make sure to stir the honey in so it does not burn at the bottom of the pot. Let this ferment for 2 weeks and keg/bottle.

Hello Chavi,

It looks delicious. I'm just wondering what the %AA the Mittlefruh is that you typically use, or do you not really consider the variation? Also I'm assuming that the LME is a pale/light malt extract (you know what is said about assuming anything)? Any specific yeast that you like to use? Finally if you don't use the Honey do you substitute with another sugar or more LME to achieve the OG?

Thanks for the comment Kapoor! I forgot to put that stuff in the directions (face palm). The %AA of the mittlefruh that I use is 4.8%. And you are right about LME being light malt extract. Also I use liquid WLP001 (Cal. Ale Yeast). Lastly, I am not sure what I would substitute in place of honey. You certainly don't have to use Tupelo though. I have also made this with orange blossom honey and it was delicious. I prefer tupelo because its easy to get in FL and I personally think it tastes the best.

Back