partial double mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karmawar

Reaction score
If I can only mash 6lbs of grain at a time (due to the size of pot) would it possible and at all benificial to do two mashes in the SAME water/wort?

Do you have a second pot that would hold your first runnings from the first 6lbs? You could just do it twice then boil back in original pot. I'm not sure about the other way. I am not sure how much conversion would take place in the second batch if it was done in wort and not just water.

If you chose to store the first runnings, make sure the wort was held at at mashout temps for long enough to denature the enzymes. If not, you'd end up with basically a 2+ hr mash on those first runnings. That would make your beer considerably dry. I say this from experience from my sytem about that. The first few times I tried this system, I was getting 85% attenuation from several different yeast strains, and it was way to dry for the styles I was trying. I traced it back to letting wort sit without being mashed out til the enzymes denatures. Now, I bring the wort to a boil before I let it sit any time.

That is iinteresting as i have recently listened to a podcast where the brewer breaks up his brew day into a friday night mash and saturday morning brew, leaving the mash overnight. I had kind of liked this idea for when I eventually buy a larger pot and mash tun. sounds like it might be fine for a big belgian but not most other styles.

Back