Parti-gyle madness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedasleeve

Reaction score
How do you Parti-gyle?! I'm turning 50 and checking my log I found that today's brew will be my 49th. So I'm doing a double batch so I can drink my 50th brew on my 50th Birthday (in 4 weeks.)

My last attempt at a parti-gyle brew day was successful but a real pain - it seemed like my cleaning/washing chores tripled not doubled! Also my mash tun is a 10 gallon Igloo cooler... 25 lbs of grain and a thick mash was really hard to do since my paddle was to short and flimsy. I got a $30 stainless paddle so that at least will be easier.

Anyway here's my brew day such as it is. Grain for the two is 96.5% Maris Otter, 2% Special roast, 1.5% C120, mash 60 mins @ 152 f:

1st runnings will be the IIPA 1.075ish, 75 IBUs. Chinook, Simcoe + Amarillo, heavy on the late additions.

I'll calculate the sparge water to raise the temp to 154, add 10 Oz Victory and 8 Oz Chocolate wheat to cap the mash and let that rest while I boil the IIPA.

While the IIPA is cooling I'll steep 8 Oz C60 and 8 Oz Carapils + 1 Oz Pale chocolate in 1 gallon of water, add the second runnings and maybe some DME to go for a 1.049ish Brown, 45IBUs, Magnum + Cascade

That's the plan at least!

Sounds like you've got it pretty much planned out! Hope you enjoy your 50th bday/50 homebrewday.

For some reason it seems like I'm cursed for partigyles. I've done two and the first one my weaker beer ended up tasting like plastic and the second time the entire batch ended up infected. Granted these were from operator error and I've since improved my sanitation practices. I guess I'll have to try another one soon.

What a pain, but I pretty much hit my goals yesterday. 26 lbs in my Igloo Cooler was just a bit too much. I managed to eek out a much better efficiency using my new 30" stainless mash paddle to stir like a mothafocker but with so many things happening my almost 50 YO brain got a bit addled.

Final numbers 1.078 for IIPA (added 8 oz simple sugar,) 1.052 for Brown ale - added 1 lb DME with the capped second runnings, collected 6 gallons each. The IIPA hops were a little bittering and a whole lot of flavour 2.5 oz @ 20, 2.5 oz @ 10, and 2.5 oz @ 5 mins! I stated at 8:30 and finished cleaning up by 6...

Nit sure if I am going to do this again, a single batch is so much easier, but I sort of enjoyed the challenge.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back