Parti-gyle Belgian Quad/Sour Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffy5018

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok.
So.
I'm brewing a Belgian Quad next weekend, a recipe I've brewed 2x before, that is pretty darn good. But! I've always hated throwing out 15# of grain that I know are still full of sweet worty goodness. But! I've never wanted to deal with the parti-gyle before. But! now I'm going to.

What I really want to do, however, is brew 5 gallons of the Belgian Quad, then get around 3 gallons of a lower gravity saison that I'll add brett to and then let it sit for 6 months or so.

My question is, if the Quad has an OG of 1.073 and SRM of 12.77 using 5 gallons mash water and 5 sparge, what can I expect by using another 5-ish gallons of sparge water? I can't quite find a table or formula to use for a 2/3, 1/3 parti-gyle. Do I even need to use 5-ish gallons since the grain should be pretty well saturated? Would it be worth throwing another pound or two of 2-row or something in there and mashing that for an hour while the quad boils?

Thanks for any wisdom you can impart!

A link worth checking out: here. Also, this.

if the Quad has an OG of 1.073 and SRM of 12.77 using 5 gallons mash water and 5 sparge, what can I expect by using another 5-ish gallons of sparge water?

the 2/3 1/2 split isn't what is typically done, and I haven't done it myself, so unfortunately I can't help you there. I assume you'll be batch sparging? I'd really like to hear how this turns out. If you have enough kettles, just keep all your runnings in different kettles and blend (and look up how to use a pearson square). Also, perhaps you should consider steeping your specialty grains separately, unless you like dark saison (some people do). It probably wouldn't hurt to have a little dme as well.

Do I even need to use 5-ish gallons since the grain should be pretty well saturated?

So, normally you stop sparging after you collect a certain volume, and you don't completely drain out your mash tun? If so, you'll have to just run off the rest into a kettle and see what volume and what gravity that running is.

Would it be worth throwing another pound or two of 2-row or something in there and mashing that for an hour while the quad boils

it might bump up the gravity a little, but you could just use extract. I can't see a good reason to add new malt to something that is already mostly sparged.

---
Could you please provide a full grain bill and exactly how much wort you'd like to collect for each beer? I think if you enter your grain bill in some brewing software, play around with the efficiency you get and the volumes of wort you collect, there might be a way to guesstimate what you can get for the saison.

Latest posts

Back