Part Selection Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stever1000

Reaction score
I am putting together a 30A single element, single PID e-biab from P-J's diagram.

1)
I am having difficulty finding a relay/contactor in Canada to have between my SSR and element.
Will this contactor work?It says 120VAC coil 40A and it states various voltages. But it's not identical to other contactors I've seen people mention. It's the only one I have found that is less than $30 shipped (Thanks Canadian dollar)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Hvacstar-SA-...753214?hash=item339a482bfe:g:JeQAAOxyaURTh1fD

$_57.JPG

2)
I have (3) three-way switches from work, but they say "HAND-OFF-AUTO"
Could I somehow wire it up using only 2 options to essentially have "ON-OFF"? Or are these switches specific to a certain task and I would be better off buying 2-way switches instead?
The reason I want to use these switches is in the future I will upgrade to an automated brewery where these would be used as is.

3) Terminal blocks... P-J's diagram shows 4 from the 240V/30A power input into the panel from GFCI, Couldn't I use 2 longer ones and "split" them in half? Or whats the purpose of having 4 terminal blocks?

That contactor looks fine.

Not enough info about the switches to be able to answer, but there's a good chance you could make them work.

A link to the diagram you are following would make the question easier to understand.

Brew on :mug:

Here is the diagram I am following, I am wondering about the terminal blocks on the upper right corner

Auberin-wiring1-a4-5500w-BIAB-30d6.jpg

Here are the switches I'm talking about. Ignore the wires between them...

20151216_195000.jpg

20151216_194909.jpg

20151216_194756.jpg

20151216_194705.jpg

Can I temporarily use this switch as only ON-OFF?

Do the switched maintain their position when released after turning in both the clockwise and counterclockwise directions? If so then it looks like you have three position on-off-on switches. It appears that the switched each have two normally open (NO) switch blocks. You can use them as simple on-off switches by just wiring one of the blocks on the switch.

Do the switched maintain their position when released after turning in both the clockwise and counterclockwise directions? If so then it looks like you have three position on-off-on switches. It appears that the switched each have two normally open (NO) switch blocks. You can use them as simple on-off switches by just wiring one of the blocks on the switch.

Excellent! They maintain their position so it sounds like they will work!

Back