Part one of making Moscow mules / ginger beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bataviabrew

Reaction score
So after making an IPA, citrus cerveza, treacle stout and dark wheat beer I've turned my attention to ginger beer.....with a view to bottling up some Moscow mules. Mainly for novelty value as I recall drinking them in bottles in the 90s :)

Recipe for 21 litres:
2kg grated fresh ginger
1 pot ground ginger (38g)
Some cinnamon sticks
Handful of star anise
Juice and zest of: 2 oranges, 2 limes, 2 lemons

Boiled all of the above with around 4 litres of water for 20 minutes or so and then added 2kg granulated sugar.

Added to the fermentation bucket (strained) with 500 light spray malt, some slices of fresh ginger and some star anise. Then topped up to 21l by passing cold water through the sieve that had all the bits from the pot. Rehydrated and added some nottingham ale yeast and it's now sitting around 16C in the garage.

If fermentation goes to plan (touch wood!) then I plan on bottling with a few different experiments: some with vodka for Moscow mules, some with rum, some with honey and some with my brothers home made limoncello.

Fingers crossed......!!

After two days nothing happening, so panicked, added some nutrient, repitched yeast and added some more........and now brewing away!

Latest posts

Back