parital mash OG a bit low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orcus332

Reaction score
Hi guys,
The last batch I brewed was a little short of the calculated OG. It was a kit from AHS and should have been about 1.050 but mine was 1.045. I'm wondering how to correct this. I'm still a noob (brewed 3 batches). Can I add concentrated DME w/ water to bring up my overall OG before pitching? Should I add less water when bringing up to the 5 gallon mark so that maybe I only have 4.5 gallons? Instead of steeping for 60 minutes, would it help to steep for longer?
Thanks.

----------------
Now playing: The Bravery - Believe
via FoxyTunes

You could add more extract, or even sugar depending on the style of beer you want, i have made a stout were I missed my OG and added some brown sugar and some maple syrup. Steeping longer would not too anything because you are not getting your fermentables from the grain. All your gravity points are from your Extract.
Your batch should be fine just next time check it before pitching your yeast and adjust accordingly. Good luck!

Scott

All your gravity points are from your Extract.

Not true. Most Austin Homebrew PM kits run 40-50% from the grain.

I wouldn't worry about the difference, but less water is probably the easiest.

You could correct the OG using either method you suggest, however I would first see if you could refine your mash process to get all you can from the grains. If you simply steeped for 60 minutes as you suggest, that's probably where you lost the 5 points. If you post the recipe and describe exactly what you did with the grains I bet we can figure out why you came out low.

My bad i have never used any Austin homebrew kits.

Wouldn't it depend on what you are steeping though?

No. This is a "partial mash" recipe, so we're talking about the points that are coming from the mash, which isn't the same as steeping.

If you're only .005 off of the expected OG, I definitely wouldn't worry about it!

There are a number of things that will help to bring up your gravity. The simplest thing to do is just to add in a pound of extract according to color for the batch but there are a number of other things to consider.
-The degrees Lintner of the grain being steeped. (The higher the degree the higher the diatastic power of the grain and the better it will convert the starch hulls)
-The temperature of the mash. While above 155 provides more body, lower than it provides more points for your brew.
-The ph of the mash. The best conversion of starches happens between 5.0 and 5.5 ph. Some simple tests can help you there as well as calcium carbonate or an acid blend.
-Thoroughly sparging your grain afterwards.

Hoped I could help

Back