Parenting done right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Requiemm

Reaction score
So either I'm an awesome dad or an irresponsible parent. My daughter loves the science involved in brewing so wanted to do some all on her own. So she just started 5 gallons of Caramel Apple Pie Cider with minimal guidance. I attached Pics of her adding the juice to the carboy, adding the corn sugar to raise the OG, and pitching the yeast.

We had this conversation too:

Daughter: (As she finishes adding and mixing the corn sugar) "Ok dad, we have must"
Me: "And what's it called after we add the yeast?"
Daughter: "Dad, we don't add yeast, we pitch it. And it'll be wort then."

Not sure if I should be proud or ashamed :)

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

+1 on being proud. It's good to have life skills like this, it's science! Plus when all else fails if the zombie apocalypse ever comes she will have a valuable skill that will pay for itself tenfold :D

My parents started me at 14 with wine... I turned out ok. Also remember that tasting can be good depending on the age as long as it's supervised.

Thanks folks. She has been allowed to try a taste at several stages of brewing. My father allowed me alcohol when I was young so it never became "forbidden fruit" to me.

As one of America's educators I'm going with you should be proud...just remember no samples!

I have said in some other post that homebrewing, gardening, canning, cooking, and the ability to fix something are the fundementals of living. And hunting, if all of these criteria are met a person will never have to worry. Cheers on the life skills you are teaching your daughter. Get them started young, I have some step children and they show no interest.

Enjoy it while you can. So often they are so willing to help when they are younger, only to move on to more exciting things as they find out about boys, phones, whatever.

I think that is awesome. My 5 year old grand daughter helps me prep when I cook or grill. She always wants to help which I enjoy. hopefully she stays interested. Be proud.
She hasn't picked up on my brewing yet.

Absolutely be proud! Getting to spend time with your kids doing something you both enjoy is one of the best things! Our kids like helping with all kinds of brewing projects. My 11 year old is a pretty good bottle filler!:D They made some root beer for a class party last fall and helped me tear down a couple mini fridges to build our kegerator. Life skills!!

Enjoy it while you can. So often they are so willing to help when they are younger, only to move on to more exciting things as they find out about boys, phones, whatever.

I'm older and beer > boys.

I don't think educating your child on brewing is at all bad parenting. In fact, it may ignite her interest in science as a whole. If I had someone showing me this stuff when I was in school, I bet I would have stuck with sciences.

I'm older and beer > boys.

I don't think educating your child on brewing is at all bad parenting. In fact, it may ignite her interest in science as a whole. If I had someone showing me this stuff when I was in school, I bet I would have stuck with sciences.

I did lots of scientific things with my girls and they just didn't have the interest (so far). They got good grades in the science classes, but for them it seems like those classes are just classes. Kim even went to Michigan Tech for summer camp 2 years in a row and decided she wasn't all that interested.

So far boy hasn't been a problem for either. Kara has a boyfriend now, but they aren't inseparable and in fact she's talking about splitting up after band camp.

In Kim's case she was never interested in doing beer stuff. Kara used to be, but as she got older she just doesn't care to help out any more.

My boy loves cranking the mill, and eating grain, and hosing off equipment. He's a handy, if slow and messy, brew buddy.

He does think auto siphons are swords though. I just bought my 3rd one this year.

Back