Paper-toweled the inside neck of a full carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CallMeZoot

Reaction score
I just had a few firsts -- I made up my first batch of EdWort's Apfelwein, and I used Star San for the first time.

Quick question:

The carboy stopper kept slipping out of the neck -- I've never had this happen before so I assume it was the Star San slipperiness. I checked the forum and found that this often results in a stopper falling into the carboy. So I washed my hands, wrapped a piece of paper towel around my finger, and dried out the inside of the carboy neck. Did the same thing for the outside of the stopper. I used the *inside* of the paper towel (the side that was facing the roll, not the side facing the air).

Before I go relax and have a homebrew, can anyone just reassure me that this is a reasonably safe practice? Or did I just introduce a lot of dust and bacteria from the paper towel?

Thanks,
chris.

It's definitely the starsan, if you let it air dry for a few minutes next time it won't be an issue.
I used the paper towel technique on my apfelwein as well, and it is delicious.

Let the relaxing commence.

Paper towels are actually pretty clean if they don't get exposed to 'weird stuff' after being unwrapped.

there's a ton more bacteria on your bath towels/kitchen towels than a paper towel.

in fact, my tattoo artist has all his clients use paper towels to dry their fresh tats after showering, instead of a bath towel, to keep it cleaner.

and, I've had to do this myself on my own carboys, when I ran out of carboy caps due to excessive secondaries (is there such a thing?)

Back