Paper logbook or software?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Influence

Reaction score
Just curious.

I use computers all the time - but I've noticed I like paper.

Of course, I'm gonna have to get off my but and make myself a nice logbook one of these days if I continue.

I haven't jumped yet into beer software yet (outside of Excel).

Any advice? Stick to paper or go digital?

Jonathan

I started with a paper logbook then moved to software. I've found I am far less diligent about taking notes with the software so I may move back to the paper log; I just haven't decided yet.

That depends on you. One thing I REALLY like it being able to share my recipes online, so I blog about each beer, apfelwein I do. Brewing equipment and tips also make it into that blog, to a lesser extent.

I do, however, write those blog entries from paper notes. Why? I don't like laptops, and I need to take my recipe with me down stairs to where I brew so paper comes in handy.

My yeast strain log, however, is all paper since this is probably too boring and useless to put online. But... Now that i've said that I'll end up finding a reason to do just that.

I keep my notes in paper hard back logbook. It's it's pretty cool and it's survived many computer crashes, viruses, & power failures.

I have started to keep my notes and store important recipes in Yahoo Notepad within my Yahoo account. This way, they are always there and I can get to the details whenever I need them even while on the road.

I like paper. I can take to the stove with me, write stuff down, drip wort on it and not hurt it. Also, I can use paper out in the yard without electricity after the laptop battery dies.

I use software while formulating a beer, but I have a bound notebook for recording. Originally, I did all of my brewing at a friend's house and the notebook made more sense.

I do the same as david_42. I use Beersmith for recipes and calculations and then keep all my logs in a simple spiral bound notebook. I like the spiral notebook because I can lay it out flat and just jot notes as I go. I also have metal cabinets that I can use a big magnet on to keep everything up while I'm brewing.

I thought I would go back and add my notes into Beersmith or in text files, but I'm too lazy to do that.

I do both. I formulate recipes and test concepts in Beersmith. I keep all of my master recipes (including the ones I've downloaded or adapted from other sources) in the main folder. I keep the "as brewed" recipe in the Brewlog folder. That lets me check how I've changed each batch from the master due to LHBS availability, experimentation or the brew day not working out entirely as planned.

For brew day I print out the brewsheet from Beersmith. It provides a handy checklist so I don't forget things like adding a Whirlfloc tablet or first-wort-hopping. I scribble notes on the brewsheet as things progress -- times, quantities and gravities of each of the mash runnings, overs/unders on amounts or temperatures, amount of Kettle Krud (tm) left, etc. On the back of the brewsheet I keep notes on the progress of the fermentation -- time to airlock activity, ambient and fermentation temperatures, taste of hydrometer samples, that sort of thing. This gives me a physical record that is much easier to reference for future brew days.

For example, my next experiment is parti-gyle brewing. I'm going to make a big beer from the first runnings and a smaller beer from the 2nd/3rd runnings. Reviewing my notes for the last couple of batches I can tell that for a given recipe I'll get 10qts of 1.075 - 1.080 wort from the first runnings. That's pretty handy, and not something you can easily track with the existing software.

Chad

I have been using qbrew (Im cheap) for my recipes and taking notes on a radical brewing work sheet I found on a thread here. It has been working for me so far.

killian said:
I have been using qbrew (Im cheap) for my recipes and taking notes on a radical brewing work sheet I found on a thread here. It has been working for me so far.

Care to share this sheet? I've been looking for a simple version that I can record some basic info and all I've found are some pretty involved sheets that I'm not quite ready for at this point.

As others have said, I'm much more apt to take good notes if they are nearby. I don't think that I'd record much during the brew day if it was just with the laptop although I do see a big benefit in using brewing software in terms of recipe formulation.

Thanx All.

I have a desktop publishing background and was going to design a sheet and make my own spiral bound notebook - but that Radical Brewing sheet is really well done!

The brewers spreadsheet is nice too.

I work on computers all the time, brewing is my escape. As anal as I can be about details, I just don't see myself sitting down to the PC and taking notes (I work on 'em over 12 hours a day!).

Good music and a brew kettle is my escape from technology!

However.... I have contemplated getting beersmith as I'm enjoying toying around with various stouts and such (man, gotta love a good oatmeal stout - breakfast in a bottle!).

Thanx all for the feedback, and links.

It is interesting to see what others are doing, as I don't belong to a club or anything.

Jonathan

Latest posts

Back