Palmer Dry Irish stout kit at ~1.020 after 3 weeks.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitrogenWidget

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So as the title says I got one of these kits on sale for something like $20 shipped somewhere, sat on it for a month, made it and here I am not quite at the projected FG of 1.010.

is this normal?
My basement was a little cold and the beer was low 60's whole time.
I've brought it upstairs and warming it up a little, then i'll aerate, but I think i'm going to just keg it tomorrow and carb it up.
it tastes like a stout.
maybe a little sweet but still tasty.

this is the kit i got but i can't remember where i bought it.
https://www.austinhomebrew.com/Cerveza-de-Malta-Seca-Dry-Irish-Stout-by-Palmer-Brewing_p_7848.html

thanks.

Bumping up the temps to high-60s for a few days should get it to drop a few more gravity points.

More info would help us troubleshoot. What yeast did you use? Maybe the yeast was out of date and fermentation stalled. You could repitch with a packet of US-05 or Notty and give it another week or so. When you ordered the kit, did you add the "extra body" option of dextrine malt? If so, that would result in higher FG.

If you like the flavor as-is, by all means, keg it. But if you want it to be true to style, you should give it some more time at warmer temps. But don't aerate it or you will get oxidized beer.

it was us-05 yeast.
seemed to ferment strong in the beginning.
i'm new to brewing but have a few under my belt
I normally let fermentation start in a warmer range then move it to the cooler to finish out.
first time one stopped that high but also first time i've used this particular yeast.

something was telling me to move it back to warmer when it stopped but I wanted to make sure.

I brought it upstairs and put it on the wood stove (shielded enclosure) and it's up to high 60's and bubling again! :)

over the summer i used an old fridge with a temp controller to keep things at proper temp.
guess it's time to hook up a heat source to the other side of that controller since my basement is getting colder.

Thanks everyone!

it was us-05 yeast.
seemed to ferment strong in the beginning.
i'm new to brewing but have a few under my belt
I normally let fermentation start in a warmer range then move it to the cooler to finish out.
first time one stopped that high but also first time i've used this particular yeast.

something was telling me to move it back to warmer when it stopped but I wanted to make sure.

I brought it upstairs and put it on the wood stove (shielded enclosure) and it's up to high 60's and bubling again! :)

over the summer i used an old fridge with a temp controller to keep things at proper temp.
guess it's time to hook up a heat source to the other side of that controller since my basement is getting colder.

Thanks everyone!

This is backward. You want to start the fermentation cool and then let it warm when the activity slows down to encourage the yeast to finish the job.

http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

So as the title says I got one of these kits on sale for something like $20 shipped somewhere, sat on it for a month, made it and here I am not quite at the projected FG of 1.010.

is this normal?
My basement was a little cold and the beer was low 60's whole time.
I've brought it upstairs and warming it up a little, then i'll aerate, but I think i'm going to just keg it tomorrow and carb it up.
it tastes like a stout.
maybe a little sweet but still tasty.

this is the kit i got but i can't remember where i bought it.
https://www.austinhomebrew.com/Cerveza-de-Malta-Seca-Dry-Irish-Stout-by-Palmer-Brewing_p_7848.html

thanks.

I did the same Palmer Irish Dry Stout and my final gravity was also 1.020. My original was 1.044 which is only .01 below what was posted on the instructions. I have had it in the keg for 1 week and I get very little head, Nothing at all like my kolsches,or other ales. It does not tast that bad but for some reason it is taking longer to carbonate than my other beers.

My mocktoberfest from last year took 5 weeks in the keg @10psi to develop any head. The beer was carbonated but looked/tasted flat... 5 weeks!!! I put in my notes to brew 6 weeks earlier this year.

I had 3 batches of AG stout in a row stall at 1020. WLP004 and decent sized starters. No idea why but i stopped using that yeast after that. Its a shame as some of the beers i made with it were fantastic.

Back