Pallet Wood Garage Bar Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warthogrugby

Reaction score
Hello All,

I undertook a serious bar building project that I thought I would share with you all. I spent a ton of time checking forums for ideas for construction and what not that I thought that I needed the reciprocate with a thread of my own.

(For some reason the pictures are not loading in line from OneDrive, so they are in order below from the description...)

First, here is what I was starting out with in terms of space 1) Window recess with shelving and makeshift laminate counter. 2) Garage corner with the current Kegerator (going to transition to a ferm chamber)

3 )Next, I moved the future ferm chamber over to where it plans to live and cleared out the space.

I then modeled out the first design in SolidWorks to gauge my build of materials and necessary supplies to get a rough idea for lumber cost.

Once the Wife and baby left for a week vacation I took the opportunity to jump all in at the project. 5) I marked out the floor with what I had modeled with tape (Blue is the frame and Green is the counter). 6) After discussing the layout with the neighbors, I tore everything up and repositioned the design.

7) I started with the bar counter framing with 2x6s. The planed height is 42 inches.

8) I then framed in the lower work counter where the Pico is going to live.

9) One of my neighbors had access to a ton of free pallets. I was originally thinking of using sanded veneer plywood, but at $45ish a sheet it would get expensive really fast... The pallet wood saved a solid $250 and added a lot of character. We got the boards off using a sawzall and it worked great.

10) We faced the front of the bar with the pallet wood

WP_20140701_08_01_54_Pro.jpg

WP_20140701_08_01_58_Pro.jpg

WP_20140814_19_49_20_Pro.jpg

WP_20140814_20_06_06_Pro.jpg

WP_20140814_22_49_22_Pro.jpg

WP_20140815_13_20_59_Pro.jpg

WP_20140815_19_36_12_Pro.jpg

WP_20140816_09_41_02_Pro.jpg

WP_20140816_001.jpg

11) We had to put up the molding to gauge were to put the cross supports for the counter, we used the 2x4s from the pallets and kept the recess cut for the fork lift as a decretive touch.

12/13) Each of the cross supports were leveled prior to putting the plywood down.

14) We then started cherry picking out the 1x6s for the counter too, gluing and nailing them down.

15) The counter was sanded and a cherry stain was added (same as the collar on the kegerator/ferm chamber). The sand job wasn't to level everything out, but to knock off any of the sharp edges.

16) I added face boards to the front (and soon back) of the bar. I left about 1/16-1/8th of an inch overhang as I'm going to pour self leveling bar top resin. This will seal/fill the unevenness of the pallet wood.

17) I added a burnt feature in for the wife.

18) For got to add a picture before the pallet wood was faced on the front bar

WP_20140817_21_28_57_Pro.jpg

WP_20140817_21_29_07_Pro.jpg

WP_20140816_18_42_54_Pro.jpg

WP_20140817_13_26_22_Pro.jpg

WP_20140817_13_26_37_Pro.jpg

WP_20140817_16_00_58_Pro.jpg

WP_20140816_14_01_38_Pro.jpg

I'm already about 25 hours in and I haven't even started the back lower bar counter for brewing... I'm going to be heads down for a while longer :)

Very nice. I have a few oversized pallets at work that I've been eyeing for a bar build. Thanks for the inspiration to do something with them!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Looking good.
Not sure I could pull this off in my garage, to many motocycles, tool boxes, table lift, keezer, fermentation chamber (chest freezer) and stuff stored in there.
In process of organizing and cleaning things up but more for the motorcycle table lift and room to do motorcycle maintenenace.
That bar looks great, would like to have something to at least hang out around and enjoy some beers with friends.
Might have to rearrange some stuff.
Thanks for the post.

I used to pass a place going to and from work that would randomly put out free pallets for people to take. I always had this idea but never actually made it happen. I might have to drive my truck to work one day and hope they put out pallets!
Looking good btw. Stoked to see the final product!

I put down the first layer of Super glaze last night, and boy is it shinny! When I checked it this morning I was worried it didn't cure out since it still looked like water...

I'm planning the second layer this evening as to fill in the rest of the mares of the pallet wood.

WP_20140819_07_45_05_Pro.jpg

I used to pass a place going to and from work that would randomly put out free pallets for people to take. I always had this idea but never actually made it happen. I might have to drive my truck to work one day and hope they put out pallets!
Looking good btw. Stoked to see the final product!

You'd be amazed how easy they are to find once you start looking.

Making them useable, not so easy.

I'm planning the second layer this evening as to fill in the rest of the mares of the pallet wood.

mares?

It has been a while since I have had an opportunity to work on the bar. I was able to take a few days and hammer out the majority of the back bar. It took me a while to figure out exactly what I wanted to do for the shelving and all that, but I finally dived in.

1) I had to add some 2x4s in to be able to tack in the particle board that would allow me to line the bottom, sides, and back of the shelves in pallet wood.

2) A view of the eventual counter that will house the majority of storage and the work space

3 & 4) I lined the shelving units with the particle board. I needed a solid platform for the counter top pallet wood. Also, since I plan on pouring a resin over top the back bar counter as well, I needed to make sure I was sealed. I clear caulked all the seams and around the backsplash.

5) Time to start arranging the counter top. Like the top bar, I went with 6" boards.

6 & 7) I decided to line the shelves with the pallet wood as well. I spaced every two side boards for adjustable shelves. I haven't built the shelves yet, but the action should work well.

8 & 9) The last bit that I had the chance to finish up was the back splash, my favorite area so far. I'm a bit of a comic junky so I adhered and then sealed various scenes from quite a few books ranging from mid 70s Avengers to more recent story lines.

I still have quite a bit of work to do, but I'm not tapped in and functional!

WP_20150102_003.jpg

WP_20150102_004.jpg

WP_20150102_007.jpg

WP_20150102_009.jpg

WP_20150102_013.jpg

WP_20150103_008.jpg

WP_20150103_011.jpg

WP_20150103_012.jpg

WP_20150105_001.jpg

WP_20150105_004.jpg

I cleaned up and rearrange the garage quite a bit so the bar had a bit more functional space. It's a lot more open now.

Next up, when I have the time, is to finish the mud work and paint the walls. I'm going to add a couple of circuits so I can put in an outlet for the Picobrew and have the kegarator on it's own circuit. Also going to be putting in pendant lighting.

I also need to finish up all the shelves and the molding work and finish work.

Hopefully I'll get an update a little quicker than this one...

WP_20150125_002.jpg

WP_20150124_004.jpg

WP_20150124_005.jpg

I see that Picobrew in the background. You must have gotten one of the first ones, huh? How do you like it?

It has been awhile, but I finally got my lighting up. I was thinking that I was going to have to wire in pendant lights, but thought up of an alternative.

I was able to find pretty cheap "pendants" at Homedepot. They are standard 110V plug ins that I spliced together. I then plugged the one cord into an RF box in the outlet the Garage Door is plugged into. The RF switch works like a charm and I didn't have to do any wiring. The lights are draped around standard galvanized pipe coming off the ceiling.

I still have to finish the mud work and paint. Then the projector and screen go up!

WP_20150322_001.jpg

WP_20150322_002.jpg

Really cool. Using the pallets give it that rustic reclaimed wood look. All you need now is some paint on the walls!

Awesome bar! I see you had a stack of about 22 pallets. Do you know about how much you ended up using for the face of the bar and the top?

I replied before, but just wanted to show you my finished product that was a direct result of your post here. Thank you for the inspiration!

IMG_0880.jpg

Word of caution when using pallets. Make sure you know the source and what was shipped on them. If they were used for chemicals they can seep into the wood then leach out over time presenting a possible hazard.

That out of the way SWEET BUILD!

My small outside bar was inspired by a few builds here. I don't have photos of the top, it is shades of brown stone tile.

bar outside.jpg

Word of caution when using pallets. Make sure you know the source and what was shipped on them. If they were used for chemicals they can seep into the wood then leach out over time presenting a possible hazard.

That out of the way SWEET BUILD!

Most of mine were actually used by a beer distributor, so it came full circle!

Back