Pale Ale Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeart

TwoHeart
Reaction score
I am a huge PA fan. I was thinking of creating my own recipe. So I am hoping for some critics, and some of your favorite PA recipes. This is one that I am thinking of brewing up.

6 lbs extra light DME
1 lb Crystal 40L
4 oz maltodextrin

1 oz Chinook @ 60 min
1 oz Cascade 15 min
1 oz Cascade dry hop

I've never used maltodextrin before. I had to look it up to see what it is. Have you tried a batch with and without? How much influence does it have?

I'm on a never-ending quest for a perfect (to me), House Ale. Here's my most recent;
1/2# Belgian Special for steeping grains
1# corn sugar, pre-boil
3# pilsen DME, pre-boil
1oz Chinook, 60 minutes
1oz Willamette, 5 minutes
3# Sparkling Amber DME, flame out
Wyeast 1056

It fit my tastes pretty well. Next time I'll steep with Crystal 60 and use Safale 05. I'd like to hear about the maltodextrin thing though.

that much crystal plus maltodextrin strikes me as cloying. i'd go with one or the other.

my favorite pale is 90% 2-row and 10% wheat, 1 ounce each hops @ 60, 10, and 0

There's a good chance that your malt extract already has a dextrine malt in it for improved heading on the beer. You shouldn't need to add more. Even your Crystal 40 will have some dextrines.

I agree that you should scale back the Crystal a bit (maybe to 1/2#?). Also, are you going for a pretty bitter pale ale? 1 oz of chinook at 60 is going to get into ipa ibu territory. Conversely, you could do an all cascade pale ale and keep the hop schedule as is just substituting cascade for chinook and that would get you more into the standard pale ale ibu range. But you may be looking to do a more aggressively hopped apa, so go with what suits you.

I don't know - I think that having 4oz of maltodextrin isn't necessarily a bad thing. Having it in there with 1lb of C-40 might be a little much, so bringing that down to 8oz. might be beneficial. Sheldonsteen makes a good point about the chinook too - 1oz. @ 60 minutes might be a little ambitious. That being said, I'm a pretty big fan of "overly hoppy" pale ales myself, so I wouldn't tell you to change that! :cross:

I'm with Matt on this one. Overall I like your recipe minus the maltodextrin/carapils. I'd even toss in an ounce of cascade at 5 minutes if you have an extra.

I am a huge PA fan. I was thinking of creating my own recipe. So I am hoping for some critics, and some of your favorite PA recipes. This is one that I am thinking of brewing up.

6 lbs extra light DME
1 lb Crystal 40L
4 oz maltodextrin

1 oz Chinook @ 60 min
1 oz Cascade 15 min
1 oz Cascade dry hop

I like it- but without the maltodextrin.

Simple is often better. This one is pretty good, but I'd add an ounce of cascade at 5 minutes for more hops flavor and aroma.

Some of my pale ales are dryhopped, and some aren't. I like the hoppy aroma, but sometimes the hops flavor and aroma is enough just from the hops in the boil if I want something easy-drinking.

Back