Pale Ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawman

Reaction score
Fermentables

8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US
1.00 lb Vienna Malt
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L

Hops

1.00 oz Northern Brewer
1.00 oz Saaz (15 min)
2.00 oz Saaz (Flame-Out)
1.00 oz Saaz (Dry Hop 3 days)

Yeast

US-05

Estimated OG of 1.054 @ 75% Efficiency

I was wondering if anybody else has made a pale ale with saaz for flavor and aroma, and if they could give some suggestions.

yup... my rye pale ale has generous late saaz additions... use more than you would think... the AA on mine was pretty low 3.1% and you need a lot to bring out the aroma imo... saaz is by far my favorite aroma hop.

i like the 2 oz flame out addition, but i would be inclined to more than double the dry hop length there... i would also probably break up the 1 oz you're adding at 15 to .5 at 10 and .5 at 5. the northern brewer should have enough AA to bitter.

how did this turn out?

what amounts of saaz did you end up using?

i've got an amber in the works that i may do a very similar hop schedule with but with less saaz to finish to let the malt shine through

I love sazz soft and mellow cleanish good hop.It was in one of my standout beers for me as far as hops go. Im going to use it it a lager or pilsner ale when i start doing them again

I used Perle & Saaz in my APA. boy,is that a good combo! Amber/orange color,light toasty malt,& that smooth spice flavor/aroma. I added 1oz Perle @ 20 mins,.5oz Saaz @ 10,then the remaining .5oz Saaz @ flame out for 10mins. Put the hops on the back,save for a nondescript citrus brightness on the back of the malt flavor. Wish I had some more...

Latest posts

Back