Pale Ale recipe thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhm8484

Reaction score
10lbs American 2 row
1lb. Crystal 40

.5oz Columbus 60 min.
.5oz Centennial 15 min.
.5oz Cascade 10 min.
.5oz Columbus. 5min.
.5oz centennial. Flameout
.5oz cascade. Flameout

3 oz total hops, mash at 152 for 60 min.
Ferment with safale us-05 at 68.

Brewers friends gives me stats of...
OG. 1.051
FG. 1.009
ABV. 5.55%
IBU. 44.73
SRM. 7.51

Also matches style guidelines for American pale Ale.

Let me know thoughts thanks

Looks really good. Try it out and see what you like or don't like about it, then make adjustments to dial it in.

Reason I did hop schedule that way is so I wouldn't be left with half oz of leftovers

Nothing wrong with it. I wonder about using Columbus for a late addition, since it is usually a bittering only hop. A lot of hop selection is personal taste though. I would consider adding an ounce of citra, amarillo, mosaic, moteuka, or galaxy as a late addition, to get beyond the Sierra Nevada pale ale clone. A half pound of carapils or wheat could help with head retention, a little body, and mouthfeel, but again, personal preference. Going in to summer, I would consider dropping the ABV to the low- or mid-4% range.

I might add some mosaic it's my favorite hop, I was trying to keep IBU below 50

Thought about also adding a 1 oz of dry hops using something or do what you said add a ounce of something at flameout

It's really about what you like and everyone is really different. If you find a recipe you generally like but it's too high IBU, just add the 60m hop later or less. My fav pale ale was adapted and uses only 30m to 0m hops.

Reason I did hop schedule that way is so I wouldn't be left with half oz of leftovers

Stick it in a freezer bag and toss it in the freeezer. Vacuum sealing is better. It will last for years that way. A 1/4 ounce (or less!) bittering charge is useful in a lot of beer styles.

Would you just add half pound of carapils or wheat to grain bill or minus half pound to the two row?

Your all 'c' hop bill is just fine. (also not a SN clone)
There are plenty of great beers that use Columbus all the way through, including as a late addition or *gasp* a dry hop.

Don't let all these 'if it ain't a juice box, it ain't good' types steer you away from the classics.

Okay well maybe I'll just roll with it to see what it ends up being, it's the joy of making your own recipe, I did had 6 oz of wheat to help with head and body retention as previously stated above

It's too much crystal malt for my tastes (but of course my tastes are not necessarily your tastes). I would opt for some Munich or Vienna instead, or a more highly kilned malt like Biscuit or Victory. Or I'd just use 100% or a more flavorful base malt, like Maris Otter.

Bittering hops OK, but definitely on the high end.

Back