Pale Ale recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fezzman

Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed my first batch of Ed Wort's Haus Pale Ale, following the AG recipe. Later that night I brewed a second batch with the same grain bill but substituted Goldings 5% for each addition. I plan to have each on tap side by side for funz. :p

Using my leftover grains, I came up with the following grain bill loosely based off of the above recipes.

8lbs Pale malt
1.5lbs Munich
1lb Crystal 10
5oz Victory

Goldings 5% @ 60
Goldings 5% @ 30
Willamette 4.4% @ 15
Willamette 4.4% @ 5

Notty yeast

I have plenty of both hops for adjustment. Should I up Goldings to .75 at the 30 minute addition or does it seem okay? Cut the Crystal in half?? I plan to brew in about 4 hours when I get home from work (where there is no recipe calculator). Also thinking maybe .25 Will @ flameout.

Thanks

I'd swap the goldings in place of the willamette and drop the 30 min addition, get IBUs to ~ 27 total. They have better flavor/aroma IMO.

You are so close to a nice session bitter. I would go that direction if that were my grain bill. Drop the munich, up the victory to 1/2 lb. S-04 yeast (even the notty would be decent) 1 oz. goldings at 15, 1 oz. at 0 mins. If using the notty, a mash temp of ~156 would help keep it at a nice FG.

I'd swap the goldings in place of the willamette and drop the 30 min addition, get IBUs to ~ 27 total. They have better flavor/aroma IMO.

You are so close to a nice session bitter. I would go that direction if that were my grain bill. Drop the munich, up the victory to 1/2 lb. S-04 yeast (even the notty would be decent) 1 oz. goldings at 15, 1 oz. at 0 mins. If using the notty, a mash temp of ~156 would help keep it at a nice FG.

I've already got a batch in primary with all Goldings so I was shooting for something a bit different, hop wise. I don't have any extra Victory, 5oz is all I've got to work with...and it is already mixed with the Munich.

I've got .5oz of Chinook on hand. I was just reading a thread of mixing Chin and Will. What's if I added the Chin at 0 mins?

Chinook gives a nice grapefruit flavor/aroma. Could be interesting. I'd leave the munich in if headed in that direction. It will end up more like an APA.

Chinook gives a nice grapefruit flavor/aroma. Could be interesting. I'd leave the munich in if headed in that direction. It will end up more like an APA.

The fun part about this batch is that I have no direction. :D

I wanted an American and English pale based on the same recipe to show a friend just how different hops can be.

With this next batch, it will be some sort of yummy beer product. :fro: I've got Carafa III and Patent sitting there looking lonely.

Thanks for the input so far. Time to leave work....wish I wasn't so tired from brewing late last night.

Latest posts

Back